cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network setup help needed

kreynolds
Grafter

I want to setup a home network between my PC and OH's laptop. Have tried the network setup in windows but doesn't seem to work.

Hardware list

Base Pc Win XP x64
Router Netgear DG834N
Laptop Vista Business

The base PC is wired to the router using IP address (for eample purposes) 192.10.6.9

The laptop is Wireless on IP address 192.10.6.10

Router address 192.10.0.5
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

you need to say a bit more about what you want to work and what you're not seeing working otherwise any suggestions are a bit of a stab in the dark.
N/A

I agree we need more info but looking at what you say
The laptop is Wireless on IP address 192.10.6.10

Router address 192.10.0.5

the laptop ip needs to be 192.10.0.10 and the base station needs to be 192.10.0.9

This could be why things arnt working but its dependent on what your subnet mask is which you didnt say. The laptop and pc should have a default gateway set to 192.10.0.5 and the dns set to plusnets dns or the routers ip
kreynolds
Grafter

The IP addresses given are fictitious, however the true IP addresses of the laptop, PC and router are correct. The subnet mask is set as 255.255.255.0

Essentially, OH wants to be able to use the printer connected to my PC and have access to MP3 files stores on my PC
Community Veteran

So lets assume your machines can ping each other (revealing your private IP addresses (192.*, 172.*,10.*) here, by the way, is not to compromise your security; unless you have done something awful with your firewall setup that is).
I'd start by checking the following (not exhaustive by any means) which are problems I've fallen foul of:
Both machines are in same MS workgroup
DesktopPC has file & printer sharing switched on.
Disk folders you want the laptop to see are shared on DesktopPC with appropriate access set.
Any software firewalls you have installed recognise your private IP range and subnet as trusted.
I seem to remember froma post here somewhere that if it's XP Pro you are using then you may need to switch off "simple file sharing"
having said all that, you are using Vista on one machine, about which I know zip.
Again it will help if you can say what isn't working, any error messages etc.
N/A

You can say your ip as its a private one it cant be seen on the internet anyway.

On the info you have given the subnet is wrong put very simply the 0 in a subnet says that the network will look for pc's in the range were there is a 0.
You say one ip is 192.10.0.5 so a subnet of 255.255.255.0 will only look for pc with a ip 192.10.0.1-255. Your other ip is changing the second number ie 6
kreynolds
Grafter

Finnaly managed to get it sorted.

What a palaver to get Vista to "talk" to XP x64. Still all up and running and working well.
Community Veteran

It might help others to describe what the problems were and exactly how you got it sorted?