cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network seized up

N/A

Network seized up

Can you please advise me about a network problem before I go on-site to diagnose it in person?

All network traffic on the peer-to-peer system with Windows XP Pro SP2 PCs has ground to a holt. The lights on the 24 port switch are on and flashing as normal but it is no longer possible to ping the broadband router. Unplugging some of the patch leads from the switch and plugging them into a 4 port switch enable 3 PC to access the broadband router. Something is causing the 24 port switch to lock up or the switch is actually faulty.

Could the following be the cause? One network printer has broken and has been removed but users possibly might have files in their print queues so packets are being sent out to a non-existent IP address.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Network seized up

Firstly just to point out, it looks like you've post the same topic twice, and this can cause confusion.

I can't see why removing a network printer would cause the whole switch to lock-up. Your going to need to locate whether one PC is causing the problem, or the switch itself needs reseting.
N/A

Network seized up

The switch has been reset but the problem is still there. I am thinking in terms of a network storm but perhaps that can only happen with a hub and not a switch. As I mentioned, on the switch, the link LEDs are on and the throughput LEDs are flashing as normal.

I have ordered a replacement 24 port switch which is out of stock until the middle of next week and wonder if simply clearing the print queues to the non existant printer might fix it straight away (I am at home and the network is at work).
N/A

Network seized up

Without knowing all the setup, it's difficult to say. I guess clearing down the print queues is worth a try.

If the switch appears to be functioning correctly, i.e. all the lights are working, then the fault may lie else where.

Is there a computer with a fault network card, which is flooding the network with packets?
N/A

Network seized up

I think I will have to wait till I go in next week and start testing the points you mentioned.

Thanks at lot for your help.
N/A

Network seized up

No probs, just wish I could have been more help.

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

Are you sure it's the switch?

We had similar problems onsite with a PC with a number of virus' (worms, trojans, etc.). This was causing the processor in the router to be overloaded with LAN traffic @ 100Mb/s trying to channel to the 512Kb/s WAN port. When the PC was disconnected and the broadband router rebooted then it all runs fine.

I'd suggest taking all the PCs off the network and running an AV / Adaware scan of all the PCs sequentially before reconnection.

Hope this helps.
N/A

Network seized up

Thanks for your reply,

I temporarily replaced the 24 port switch with a 8 port one (so most of network wasn't connected) and immediatley the Internet and network printer was accessible. Three days later I fitted a new 24 port switch and it all seems OK but will let the users give it a full test tomorrow. Took "faulty" 24 port switch home tonight to test it and every port works. Doh!

Am using NIS 2003 on each PC and no hardware firewall in the ADSL router.

I will report back here after the user test in a few days.

Thanks