cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network problems with Windows ME

N/A

Hi...

I am trying to share my broadband connection with my son's PC (which has Windows ME). I have bought a simple hub/switch and my PC still works OK, but I cannot get his to connect to the internet.

I have set up the gateway address, DNS addresses, and configured an IP address on the ME PC. The hub shows that a physical connection exists, but I cannot ping either my XP machine or the router (Zyxel Prestige 642r). I also cannot connect to the router using Telnet on this PC. My XP machine is working fine.

I have heard that ME can be a bit temperamental with networks... anyone got any suggestions. Am I going to have to upgrade the OS ? Have I missed something obvious ? Shockedops:

Thanks in advance...
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Firstly can you get the two machines to talk to each other over the small network you have created with the hub etc?
This is the first step so you can prove to your satisfaction that the network is actually working.
Once you are happy with this stage then you gan go on to sorting out the internet connection.
Community Veteran

Are you running ICS (Internet connection sharing) on the XP PC? if not you need to in order to link your local network with the ADSL modem.

Are you running a firewall on the Me or XP PC. If so make sure you set the local netwok IP address range as a trusted or local network on both PC's firewalls.

You may need to enable NETBIOS on the XP PC's local network to communicate reliably with the Me PC. Find the NIC associated wit your local network, right click the icon and select propeties. Select TCP/IP and click properties. On the general tab click advanced. On the WINS tab click Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP
Community Veteran

Are you running ICS (Internet connection sharing) on the XP PC? if not you need to in order to link your local network with the ADSL modem.

I thought he says he is running a router? In which case he will not need ICS?
Community Veteran

So whats the hub/switch for in the first para?

Maybe if amnesia can explain fully how each of the PCs is connected and where the hub/switch and Prestige router is connected (and if this is a USB or Ethernet connected) we will have a better idea what is needed..
Community Veteran

It may be a single port router so requiring a hub as well?
But as you say we need a clearer idea of the setup being used to help any further.
N/A

Hope this helps a bit...

My ADSL router has only a single ethernet port (boy do I wish I had bought the 4 port one !). This has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and is the default gateway. It is connected to socket 1 on the switch. I do not have DHCP enabled on the router.

My XP PC has an IP address of 192.168.0.10 and is plugged into socket 2
The ME machine is 192.168.0.11 on socket 3.
Both machines have the default gateway of 192.168.0.1, and the usual +net DNS addresses.

I cannot ping either machine successfully from the other one, it just times out.
Similarly I cannot connect to the router using telnet from the ME machine - but I can from the XP one - again it just times out.

I have zonealarm installed on the XP machine (if this makes a difference) and I think I have the XP firewall switched on. Is this the root of the problem ?

I ran the Home Network wizard on the XP machine last night and promptly lost connection to my router (no internet etc) so I rolled it back.

I do not want (or need) to share files between the two machines, only the broadband connection.

Any more help would be appreciated...
Community Veteran

Ok now we can get a good vision of your network.
First try disabling all the fire walls as thay can block connections. Once you have it working you can let them back in and see if it still works.

Your setup seems to fine but I really do suggest that you get the machines talking to each other first. I know its not essential but it makes life so much easier if you know that the network itself is ok. you can always unshare everything later.

Daft question but worth checking. Do you have the correct Cat5 cables to each bit of equipment. i.e. have you inadvertently got a crossover cable where it should be a normal one?
Community Veteran

While most recent hubs/switches can auto-detect the type of cable used (xover/straight) and work correctly, some don't. However, if the lights on the hub and on each network card in the PCs show it as a connection then it's unlikely to be a cable problem. Knowing the cable from your XP PC to the hub works, try swapping it over for the one connected to your Me and test it on the XP PC. If it still works, you know both Ethernet cables are good.

You could try reinstalling your network card drivers on the Me PC, just in case there is something wrong. Also make sure it is running TCP/IP protocol.

I would also suggest you set the router up to use DHCP and both your PCs to get the IP address automatically as this does save a lot of fiddling and it will also set up the gateway and DNS info correctly.

You should not have the XP firewall and ZA running at the same time so disable the XP firewall for the network connection. As said above, disable (or better still uninstall) ZA on both PCs and also turn off any virus scanning software on both so you start with a clean setup and get the 2 PCs talking first. - you can just unplug the ADSL modem cable if you are worried about people accessing your PC and concentrate on the local network.

ALso try with NETBIOS enabled on your XP PC as I explained earlier. I needed this seton my XP to get reliable comms to my Win98SE PCs.
N/A

Thanks for the tips - gives me a few things to try tonight when I get home.

The cables are all standard cat, not cross-over.
I will try and get the two machines talking before I do anything else.

Thanks Wink
N/A

I knew there was a reason why it's referred to as the Mistake Edition! Wink
N/A

Sorted !

Spent last week playing around with Mandrake 10 - internet and email worked first time Cheesy but installing software is horrendous.

So I used the recovery CD that came with the PC for that 'factory fresh' look and guess what... it worked perfectly.

I used all the same settings as before, but had no problems this time.

Oh well, perhaps ME doesn't stand for Missing Ethernet after all.

Thanks for the help guys,
Daniel.