cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network cabling in a flat.

N/A

I am going to put up some coving in my flat; concrete floors and dry walling. If I can get a clear drop from ceiling to floor – have bought a device for locating support batons – I can hide some CAT5E cable behind the coving. I am reading up about cables, connectors and associated hardware to find out what I need and what it might cost. A visit to my local Maplin might be worthwhile. One thing I am not sure about is fixing the connector panels to a dry wall; I want them flush. I intend to run two cables from a Gateway box – two gang connector – into two rooms – one gang connector in each. Some advice about best method would be useful.
PS: Shows I am getting old just asking this as I was a craft apprentice on the SEB doing house wiring. Long time ago now.
7 REPLIES
Rich
Grafter

Check out www.screwfix.com for your supplies.
Community Veteran

Flush back box for plasterboard walls;
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1294&doy=23m7

Buy all the connectors from the same range and just wire them same colour to same colour. (If they have two colour codes use "B")

Chilly
N/A

Thanks for the Maplin link. I will call into the Oxford shop when I am down that way. The plasterboard box looks just the job. The Screwfix link is too general to wade through so not really helpful and I would have to order without seeing the items, if there are any suitable, and I don't want to do that in this case. Maplin is the best bet. Incidentally B&Q stock some items but are they expensive!
Community Veteran

I am not sure that you will, if you intent to try, take a boat and waders, as it is on the Boltly road.

Or at least phone them check is open and accessible first.

Chilly

(For anyone reading this in the future we are in the middle of a flooding crises.)
Discostoo
Grafter

Chilly's got it right there, although you could probably get a 2 gang dryline box cheaper from city electrical factors. They have stores all over the UK, you can find your nearest here http://www.cef.co.uk/nearest_cef/index.html.
N/A

Botley Road dried out until the next time. Bought a dry wall box from Maplin to see what it was like. Later on in B & Q, Cowley spotted the same thing only cheaper. Buying a pack of 5 is cheaper still but I don't want five (six). At B & Q cable is cheaper - don't know if it is screened though, at £26 for 50 metres; Maplin is nearly £1 a metre. I need 26 metres. Connector plates are cheaper at Maplin. Do those cheap plastic wire pushers, designed for phone boxes, work on network connectors? I am only doing two cables and four connections so don't want to buy expensive crimping tools.
Community Veteran

You have to be very careful with pricing, I was luckly, in that I work with datacable installers all the time. So a part used reel of Cat5 was given to me at the end of a job, as it had paid for.

Is it worth the petrol to shop around? Its centainly worth checking costs on the internet before leaving home.

Chilly