cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network by Firewire Problem.

N/A

Hello everyone. I'm having a little problem with a 2 computer network. I have them networked by firewire. It's built into both motherboards., One is a 4pin connector and one is a 6pin. I found a cable for it and connected them up. I have XP Pro on both comps, so I ran the network wizard on both of them and the network set itself up. It works well for most of the time, but it keeps on coming up with a network cable disconnected error. It does this at random times. At first I thought it might be a hardware fault, dodgy cable or connection, but I have ruled this out. When it occurs, I find an entry in the event log mentioning DCOM and a service that can't be started. I am new to networking by firewire, so I don't know what it's refering to. I would be glad of any help.
Regards to all, JJ Taylor.

EDIT
I should add that I already had a network running on these comps. That was a built in LAN on each comp, which are at present disabled. I had no problem at all with this setup, I tried the firewire because it passes data much faster than the LAN.
Regards, JJ Taylor.

2nd EDIT

Just discovered that the DCOM errors are not connected to the firewire disconnections. Nothing appears in the event log when the firewire shows as disconnected.
Regards, JJ Taylor.
8 REPLIES
N/A

what kind of distance are they apart from one another?
are they both firewire 400?
are you runing any firewalls?
what kind of ips are u using?
N/A

Hello Buzzons. They are 6 feet apart, both 400, what's an ip ? Firewall is Zone Alarm Pro 4.5 or thereabouts, don't have a problem with that. If I reboot either computer, or unplug and then replug the connection, it's there right away. I'm thinking along the lines of a pci card, audio or modem, could be causing the problem.
Regards, JJ Taylor.
N/A

check in your device manager to see if there are any parts causing a problem?
N/A

Already done that, bit of a puzzler. There's no definite circumstance that I can find which causes it to occur.
Regards, JJ Taylor.
N/A

Gave it up as a bad job. Keeps on coming up network cable unplugged, so I've gone back to the LAN. Turned the firwire off in the bios as it keeps producing a network bridge. When I find out more information I might try it again as it's a much faster data transfer.
Regards, JJ Taylor.
N/A

get your self 2 gigabit ethernet cards for about 20 quid each and set your self up a gigabit network ^_^ then laugh at poxy 400mb/s and get 1000/mbs Smiley

buz
N/A

One my built in LANs is a1000 mbit, but the reason I was trying firewire was to avoid buying another network card. Cash is a bit tight at the moment. 400 mbit might be poxy, but it's better than 100 mbit. If I could get it to work I'd be happy with that for the moment.
Regards, JJ Taylor.
N/A

Did a bit of seaching about and got hold of a HP Broadcom 10/100/1000 giganet card for a tenner. It didn't come with any drivers and XP didn't recognise it, so I had to go to Broadcom to download the driver. Installed it and it works well. Vast improvement to 100 mbs. So far so good. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Rgards, JJ Taylor.