cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network and domains

N/A

Network and domains

I am trying to set up a network with my PC and my wifes laptop.
when runing the network setup wizard on the laptop I get this
" The wizard detected that this computer belongs to a domain therefore you cannot use this wizard to set up a network"
My wife is a teacher and her laptop was issued to her from school where they have there own network, the hard drive is divided into two, C drive and a network drive.
Can anyone help
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Network and domains

I am guessing you are running XP home on your PC. That only supports working in a workgroup networking environment and does not support domains.

When a PC is configured to work in a domain environment it gets all it's settings from the domain controller which will be a server at your wifes school. A PC setup to use a domain cannot also be connected to a workgroup.

So you will not be able to network the two PCs together without removing the domain configuration from your wifes PC and you don't want to do that as she will not be able to connect up to here schools network. Also she may not actually have admin access to her PC so won't be able to change any setting anyway.
N/A

Network and domains

I should of said both the PC and the Laptop run Windows XP Professional.
I am now hoping this will make it possible
N/A

Network and domains

It will depend how your wifes pc is tied down. Some domain admins do very little to stop users doing things while other go OTT. If she is allowed to take it home then she must have nearly admin rights so she can do her work.
On her laptop Goto start then run type cmd when the box appears type ipconfig /all

You will get a list of her ip settings. If you then open the network on your pc and set it the same but add one to the ip you should be able to connect to each other unless they have set up a group policy. When your pc has the same network settings you should be able to ping her ip address and she should be able to ping yours.

If she right clicks on a folder can she then share it? If she can get her to share a folder and your away. If she cant then she doesnt have the rights
Community Veteran

Network and domains

Not really because:

1) You need a domain controller and XP pro cannot be run as one. You need something like SBS 2000/2003.
2) Your domain controller will not have the necessary authentication and profile information for her PC to connect to your local network. While this is stored locally on her laptop for off-line use, it is genarally stored on the domain controller which is then used when she connects to the school network.
3) Messing about with any settings on her laptop will probably mean it can't connect to the school network anymore.

Does your wife have admin access to her laptop? If her school's network admins are up to scratch, she should not have and you will not be able to make any network changes on it anyway - even if you could setup your own domain controller.

Domain based networks and local home networks are not designed to work together.
N/A

Network and domains

On my wifes laptop in the Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection section it has "Autoconfiguration IP Address 169.254.187.218"
How do I add 1 to it ?
And how do I open the network on my PC
Community Veteran

Network and domains

169.X.X.X is the windows default IP given when no network assigned IP address can be found. It is not a usable IP so you can't add 1 to it.

Network settings can be found on the control panel.

Unless you have admin access to the PC you can't change any network settings.
N/A

Network and domains

The laptop is using DHCP so if you have a router or a dhcp server it will pick up the right ip. If you havent got these you can find loads of free dhcp server on google search for

free dhcp server

You would have to set it to give an ip next to your ip for it to work. Saying you cant use a pc from a domian on a network is twoddle I do it every day. If its set to dhcp you dont need admin rights to change anything. Most domain admins will give laptop users admin rights on the laptop so they can do their work and update AV etc.

If she logs on and uses a doamina she will have to choices logon to the domain or the local box which does she do at home?
N/A

Network and domains

I now have another problem, when I try to use the network connections icon an empty window comes up which does not respond to anything. I have tried to get rid of it using task manager but the only way is a reboot.
I have this problem on my wife’s laptop and my PC.
I have not been trying to network the two computers recently, I stopped when I encountered the problem with the laptop being on a domain.

I have just been trying to connect the laptop to a dial up internet using a radio card (nokia d211)and also the ordinary telephone line but couldn’t get a dial tone with either. This was why I was trying to access the network connection facility on the laptop.When the network connection window froze I used system restore to go back to before my attempts with the dial up internet but thst did not help. I then tried on my PC (just clicking the network connections icon) to see what should happen with the and that did not work either – it locked up.
The two computers are not connected together so why they both appear to have the same problem is a mystery to me.