cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Setup

N/A

Network Setup

Ok I bought a new laptop today.

I want to setup wireless connection around my house so i can use the internet wherever

At present i have a binatone 2100 router and is wired. To make it wireless do i have to buy a wireless router.

But then i also want to share files and folders or my printer if possible too.

And if possible i want to keep my existing router and buy some access point or whatever to make it work.

I got prety low knwledge in wireless network so please help n give best solution as well as cheapest
12 REPLIES
N/A

Network Setup

You have 2 option buy a wirrless broadband modem/router or buy a wirless acces point like
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php

It is less complicated if you get a wireless modem/router and the cost between the 2 isnt very much

Yes you can share files drives and printers
N/A

Network Setup

You have 2 option buy a wirrless broadband modem/router or buy a wirless acces point like
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php

It is less complicated if you get a wireless modem/router and the cost between the 2 isnt very much

Yes you can share files drives and printers
holdtight
Grafter

Network Setup

Personally i would go for the wireless router / modem option instead of just
an access point as it will give you more wireless options and rid you of all
existing wiring

There is some decent reasonably priced kit around at the moment and i
use the linksys wag54g v2 which i would highly recommend

Also the netgear is highly rated by many users and plusnet are currently
doing a great price deal on this Netgear DG834G with a wireless card included
and at that price you just cant go wrong
N/A

Network Setup

The wireless card is for laptops and my laptop already has built in wireless

Is a usb wireless adaptor better or pci adaptor?
N/A

Network Setup

I bought the netgear router. but the network says its unsecure..how do i secure it...i tried playing around in the router but not quite sure
N/A

Network Setup

Is a usb wireless adaptor better or pci adaptor?

Id get a pci adaptor, i heard the usb ones are not that great
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Network Setup

jabb0
Grafter

Network Setup

I have no complaints about that netgear router.
i had similar discussions on here before i parted with my cash, and the major issue i ended up being concerned with was range, cos i live in a a house whic was originally a really old farmhouse, so there are several walls wich are 4 foot thick and made of stone, not brick. I havent been able to test the wireless stuff cos my siblings havent shelled out for wireless recievers yet (SANTA), but my mate threw his laptop over for me to get a ganders at and i tested it yesterday, the signal penetrates everything no problemo, i just need to take itout in the car now to see how far i can go (using a car so it dont get wet,not cos im etremely lazy)

I havent any encryption on mine, but i live in the middle of nowhere, and i dont know of any hacking sheep Tongue

Anywho, a dummy (which i most definitly am when it comes to networking) could get this thing going, encyption n all.

So hear is a VERY GOOD REPORT on the netgear kit mentioned above.
N/A

Network Setup

Ive set up my wireless network.

My laptop is using built in wireless where as other pcs are wired.

My lapt shows not connected but i can still access internet on the laptop and also the network icon has a red cross next to it. Sometimes it dnt have cross but most of the times it does. The coverage at present shows excellant
jabb0
Grafter

Network Setup

heya,
I dont have a laptop, but im workin an a mates for him. I do have a wireless router on the go, and his laptop is wireless enabled.

I dont mean to patronising, but r u sure your looking at the right icon?
Cos on his, i have no need to plug in the cable for the LAN (wireless remember) so there is always an icon which has a red cross through it - thats the unplugged lan connection, but the wireless connection never has an X and it does all its flashy stuff.
It might be hidden, try clicking on the arrow on the taskbar to see if that reveals it.

If indeed your connection is working and the icon says its not, seems to me to a minor miracle Tongue usuallly happens the other way round.
N/A

Network Setup

Hi there

Are you still having problems with your wireless network? If you are email me techsupport@pcs-4-u.co.uk.

Regards
James
N/A

Network Setup

heya,
I dont have a laptop, but im workin an a mates for him. I do have a wireless router on the go, and his laptop is wireless enabled.

I dont mean to patronising, but r u sure your looking at the right icon?
Cos on his, i have no need to plug in the cable for the LAN (wireless remember) so there is always an icon which has a red cross through it - thats the unplugged lan connection, but the wireless connection never has an X and it does all its flashy stuff.
It might be hidden, try clicking on the arrow on the taskbar to see if that reveals it.

If indeed your connection is working and the icon says its not, seems to me to a minor miracle Tongue usuallly happens the other way round.

I know where your coming from. The item that had cross was the wirless card because the LAN card also had a cross on it. But at present it somehow doesnt have cross so cant do a screen dump.