Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Setup

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Network Setup

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could say if what I'm thinking about is possible, and how I would set it up.

The network is for a church and will have a number of servers, a number of workstations and a number of VOIP phones, and a wireless network, where a few people would be able to connect with laptops.

The servers would all need a static external IP address. The phones would need static IP addresses, but could be internal address, the workstations are not important how they are addressed, and the Wireless connections could do with being served a dhcp address, as they are likely to be used on other wireless networks.

Thanks

Phil
9 REPLIES
N/A

Network Setup

yea its poss. Just set the servers to have a static ip, say 10.10.10.2 10.10.10.3 etc
your router / gw as 10.10.10.1

for the laptops just make ppl tick the dhcp option in the network setup area.

for the phones assign them high static ips such as 10.10.10.100 so they will be easily accesable if you need to set stuff up remotly.

buz
Superuser
Superuser

Network Setup

Sorry. I don't think we are quite on the same wavelength. The servers need an external IP address. What I think I am getting at is half the network needs static IP addresses from the ISP (hopefully PlusNet Cheesy ), while the other half can be behind the NAT of the router. I know how to set it up with a single IP Adress and NAT, but wouldn't be able to get access from the outside to all the servers. I also know how to do it with turning NAT off on the router and have everything having a static address. What I am unsure on (if it's even possible) is to have the network mixed with half having an external static IP address and the other half sat behing the NAT of the router.

Is that any clearer?

Phil
N/A

Network Setup

yea, it depends on your hardware . for instance :

on my router i can have XX external IPs set to

dialer1
dialer2

etc etc

these all come from the same Plusnet feed, but i have a block of 8 IPs.

Now, one of them, dialer1 is for my lan, so it has NAT on it

eg

NAT port 23 TCP to port 23 TCP from Dialer1 <-- you follow?

however, Dialer2 points to a static ip from plusnet that is carried on into my LAN for one of my servers etc.

So one IP is used for my NAT lan, and the others are used for servers.

You just need a good router Wink
N/A

Network Setup

Jesus, sorry, wow!

The church has money for servers. Well i guess that goes to show what a perfectly crafted array of guilt (think origional sin) and emotional blackmail can get you. Btw the church is buying up houses around manchester, and probably buying crack from cuba to fund its roof repairs
Superuser
Superuser

Network Setup

@buzzons - Thanks for that. Any suggestions on decent routers to support this?

@papaunix - By servers I mean a few old PC's cobbled together by myself, which will be used with varous different linux installations to (hopefully) improve our workings, and cut costs. The amount of admin we need to keep our busy little church working is immense. We are currently working on increasing the thru-put of the office (more staff and volunteers), and making what we do more economical (in both time and money), so that they can support all the great work going on in the community. At the moment the office is a bit of a bottle-neck.

Phil
N/A

Network Setup

well tbh, if you are going to do it, you are going to need to do it properly, so i would sugest a Cisco 837 ADSL router (for the small biz Wink) its a bit pricy, but its the one i use, and it has never let me down.. and thats what you need.

It has all the options you need, and its from a recomened and well known company.

A zyxel router may also be appropriate, however i have very little knowlage of these as i have only played with one for a few days, where as i am certified in cisco kit Wink

Buz
Superuser
Superuser

Network Setup

Cheers. I'll look into it.

Phil
Damfoose
Grafter

Network Setup

Sorry. I don't think we are quite on the same wavelength. The servers need an external IP address. What I think I am getting at is half the network needs static IP addresses from the ISP (hopefully PlusNet Cheesy ), while the other half can be behind the NAT of the router. I know how to set it up with a single IP Adress and NAT, but wouldn't be able to get access from the outside to all the servers. I also know how to do it with turning NAT off on the router and have everything having a static address. What I am unsure on (if it's even possible) is to have the network mixed with half having an external static IP address and the other half sat behing the NAT of the router.

Is that any clearer?

Phil

Have you looked at www.smoothwall.org as their firewall has what is called an orange network you can put your servers behind and give them their network addy with the fire wall passing all requests through to them check in the docks and the forums as their is loads you can do plus it will protect your computers from attacks.
N/A

Network Setup

Are you planning on setting up a network with a domain controller? If so, you should be able to use one IP address, and connect to all your other servers through your DC (using windows VPN or any other VPN software) this is how I do it currently, and works without problems.