cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Setup - Help!!!

N/A

Network Setup - Help!!!

I'm attempting to re-set up my network at home in order to assist in my studies for various exams but I'm not entirely sure where to start!!

Can anyone offer some help and advice on the following :?:

Here's what I've got:-

Belkin ADSL Modem Wireless G Router with built in 4 port hub
Windows XP PC connected to this via an Ethernet cable
Windows XP laptop which connects to it wirelessly

These two machines are the only ones I have connected to the internet at present.

I also have the following connected to a 5 port ethernet hub but NOT connected to the internet and entirely seperate to the first two machines:-

1 x Windows Server 2003 set up as a domain controller
2 x Windows 2003 Servers running Citrix Metaframe PS4
1 x Windows 2003 Server running Citrix License Server
1 x Windows XP client

(all of these have static IP Addresses)

What I want to do:-

I would like to connect ALL the above machines to the internet to enable the anti virus / windows updates to remain up to date.

In addition I would like to be able to experiment with other web based features in Citrix and possible add an Exchange Server at a later date.

I presume that I will need a switch to connect the machines that are not currently on line to my ADSL modem / hub but dont know what the implications are regarding IP Addresses etc once I've done that.

I would also (if possible) like to keep one of the XP Pro machines and the laptop as 'stand alone' (ie not members of the domain my network is in) but still retain their internet connectivity.

I'm not sure how possible any of this is or even where to begin so any advice would be most appreciated!

Apologies for the length of this for a first post but I really am struggling here Cheesy
8 REPLIES
N/A

Network Setup - Help!!!

Its all very simple connect your 5 port hub to the router so you will loose one connection. On some hubs there may be a uplink or a switch to set it as uplink on some hubs you may need a cross over cable to connect to the router.You can then connect the remaining pc to the router via cable or wireless.

All you need to do is change the pc's on the hub to have a ip in the same range as the router. To give them internet access set their default gateway to the ip of the router.

By definition all pc's connecting to the internet are on the network or do you mean you want 2 pc's not a member of the domain in which case thats not a problem? You can use any pc by using the local admin account to logon to the pc instead of the domain as well.

You could use a free porxy server setup on your network as another way of connecting the pc simple set them up to connect via a proxy this would save bandwidth in theory at least as the proxy would cache some of the updates.

Another way is to put 2 network cards in one pc and use that as a bridge between the networks and you could use it as a firewall as well.
If you are going to use exchange etc then all pc must be on the same ip range as you will have to forward ports to the server
N/A

Network Setup - Help!!!

Thanks for the quick reply Cheesy

As far as I know there is no 'uplink' switch on the hub.

It does have another port on it so that you can 'daisy chain' other hubs to it. I did originally try connecting this port to the router but this didn't seem to work (no internet connection).

I have also tried a cable from one of the 'normal' ports on the hub to the router with no joy so I will try a crossover cable later.

Re the IP Addresses, my domain controller currently acts as a DHCP server for my domain and has a scope set for the address range it can allocate. If I change this scope to something in the same range as the router will it still work?

Thanks a lot for your help with this.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Network Setup - Help!!!

Hit ebay and try a sitecom 5 port switch. It does have an uplink port (well actually all 5 are) and it is very good and very cheap (I got mine 2nd hand for £2.95 plus p&p). Magnetic feet are also an added bonus.

Highly reliable, lots of flashing LED's (if your into that kinda thing) and full compatibility with crossover cables as well as standard patch.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Denzil
Grafter

Network Setup - Help!!!

I think you need to read the manual for your hub. Many new ones will automatically sense whether a port is connected to another hub, and will switch themselves accordingly. If yours has a separate uplink port it will generally be shared with one of the normal ports, so if you have a standard network cable from the uplink port to the router it means you will not be able to use one of the normal ports. Likewise if the normal ports are filled you can't use the uplink port.

As I say, you'll have to check the details of your hub. It could be you just need one with more ports, or else move one connection on the hub to a spare port on the router.
N/A

Network Setup - Help!!!

Thanks for the continued advice everyone Cheesy

My hub is quite old and I dont have a manual for it, it has 5 normal ports and a further one which has 'daisy chain' written next to it. Could this be the uplink port?

At the moment I've just concentrated getting all the machines up to date so have plugged them directly into the router and downloaded the relevant security updates etc.

I have 'aquired' a crossover cable from work so will try and link the router and hub later and see what happens!

One problem I have noticed is that since I've installed Server 2003 SP2 on all my boxes I have been having intermittant problems getting an internet connection.

When IE opens it hangs for ages and I get a message at the bottom saying 'detecting proxy settings' even though I dont have a proxy server configured.

I thought I'd resolved the problem by giving everything a static IP address in the same range as the router and entering the IP address of the router as my default gateway and DNS server.

I'm still getting the problem on one machine though - any ideas how I can resolve this?
hatherden
Dabbler

Network Setup - Help!!!

You can get IE not to 'detect proxy settings' by doing Tools -> Internet Options from within IE. Click on the 'Connections' Tab, and then on 'LAN Settings'. Untick the 'Automatically Detect Settings' Box.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Network Setup - Help!!!

Thanks for the continued advice everyone Cheesy

My hub is quite old and I dont have a manual for it, it has 5 normal ports and a further one which has 'daisy chain' written next to it. Could this be the uplink port?

Without a doubt, YES.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Denzil
Grafter

Network Setup - Help!!!

Just to be clear on this, to connect your hub to the router you need either a crossover cable from a normal port, or a normal cable to the uplink (daisy chain) port. It won't work if you connect a crossover cable to an uplink port.

That's what an uplink port is, a connection shared with a normal port but with the wires crossed over inside. You only cross the wires once, either in the cable or the port.