cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Questions from a newbie

N/A

I have 2 pcs both running W200 pro and both with networking cards. Is it simply a matter of buying a lead to share files and to copy them or am i being to simplistic.

Also if it is a matter of just a lead can I use pc2 to access the adsl via pc1. Pc1 has an USB ADSL modem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Obviously I mean W2000 not 200.
Community Veteran

Basically yes, you will need to ensure the relevent folders are shared in Windows explorer and you set up the necessary Internet sharing software on the computers.

Also you need to make sure you use a cross over type network cable if you are going direct between 2 machines.

Chris
N/A

Also you need to make sure you use a cross over type network cable if you are going direct between 2 machines.

just curious - why is this?
Community Veteran

Because the transmit pair of wires from one PC has to arrive at the recieve pair on the other PC and visa versa. So they need to "Cross Over"
N/A

Network

I have a crossover cable, 2 pcs so what do i do now. Is there anywhere that i can get step by step insructions.

I want to use the PC as the main connected to the net with a USB ADSL modem and the laptop to share files like Money 2000, my work files and the internet connection. Can both pcs use the net at the same time this way?

Any info greatly appreciated. Cheers
N/A

I have never used Windows 2000 before so my advice is likely to be for XP more but hopefully it shouldn't be too different.
It should be a case of plugging the cable into the two network sockets.
You will probably have to share the ADSL connection first (right-click on the connection, go to properties and find the option to enable Internet Connection Sharing). That should make the internet PC have a local IP of 192.168.0.1 and act as a DHCP server to the other computer. The 2nd PC should then be automatically assigned an IP in the range of 192.168.0.x.
You may have to restart the PCs after enabling ICS.

As for file sharing you will need to ensure that File & Print Sharing is installed (add/remove windows components) and then sharing a folder will involve the Sharing tab of the properties of that folder. (setting a share name and possibly specifying a password [XP doesn't seem to allow this but does have support for entering a password for viewing network shares :?])

I hope this all works the same or at least very similarly in 2000 as it does in XP.
N/A

Done

great, all done now though it took a mate who works in IT to sort it all out and there were problems with Zone alarm but 2 hours work and it is all sorted. I of course have no idea what he has done so lets hope nothing goes wrong. can these things be a little easier, surely the technology exists.

Zone alarm was set to trust pcs on the network but it ended up allowing the client to ping an internet site but not access it with IE. Turns out one of the privacy controls had to be set to High on the host and medium on the client pc.

Anyhow thanks for the advice, its wireless networking next which I am sure will be a doddle to set up, I hope.