cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Interface Card, Help!

chrisco
Grafter

Hi All, I'm looking at buying a modem/router & one of the system requirements is an installed NIC, how can I tell if my machine has one? I have looked at the manual to check the specs but can't find any mention of one. Is it something that would be included in the manufacture?(It's a HP d330 mini tower). Now I'm not adverse to picking up a screwdriver & looking inside but I've no idea what they look like Shockedops: so can some kind person out there enlighten me.
I did look at my network connections & there's some called Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet for HP is this anything to do with it?
6 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

Arf, sorry but I had to styful a laugh when you asked if the Gigabit ethernet thing was related to your network.

YES it is. If you want to know what the sockets and plug look like then http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/stunet/wired/wiredStep2.asp has some well labelled pictures.

Paul.<><
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks for that Paul, I did realise the Broadcom was related to networks & I was aware there is a RJ45 socket on my machine but wasn't fully understanding that was also the NIC. Incidently, did you mean you had to stifle a laugh? Some folks know all there is to know about computers & some can spell :!: Wink
Community Veteran

Incidently, did you mean you had to stifle a laugh? Some folks know all there is to know about computers & some can spell :!: Wink

Did you mean "Incidentally" ? Tongue Tongue Parp.
The_10th
Grafter

Re: Network Interface Card, Help!

I did look at my network connections & there's some called Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet for HP is this anything to do with it?

Broadcom would be the 'on-board' network connection which can run upto 1000Mbps, thus if your router only runs at 100Mbps then 1000Mbps is irrelevant when sharing between router ports locally.
holdtight
Grafter

And NIC stands for network interface card if you want a bit of useless or useful info whichever way you want to look at it Wink
chrisco
Grafter

Many thanks folks, all sorted now.