cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network IP addressing crisis

N/A

Please help - I thought I had my network all sorted, but have unearthed a NAT mess!

My network is basically setup as follows

BT Voyager 205 eth modem
|
|
D-Link 634 wireless router
| | | |
Server cl1 cl2 cl3

I am now trying to open up certain ports (Ie. Port 80 to the server, and Bittorrent ports to one of my clients) however I have hit a stumbling block with the NAT config. As it stands NAT seems to be turned on on the Modem (it says its on, and if I turn it off my internet connection on the clients dies). It gives me the option to setup virtual servers and DMZ or to turn NAT on/off.

On the router (which I want to use for NAT) I can setup virtual servers, DMZ and firewall rules.

Please can you advise me on how it should all be setup? As I can't make head nor tail of it all :? :?

Cheers
7 REPLIES
N/A

I cannot help personaly, but I use these sorces:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/dlink

http://www.expansys.fi/forumoverviewcat.asp?man=D-LIN

almost everything has been asked at one time or another.

Simon
N/A

If you only have 1 ip address you have to run NAT. On the router simply forward the ports to the pc's which must have a fixed IP. So forward prot 80 to one pc's ip and the other ports to the P2P pc.

Note you can only forward ports to one pc
N/A

Thanks Smiley

TBH it's not really the router config that is giving me grief (port forwarding in the router is easy enough to do) its what I should have set up on the modem that is throwing me.... Do it have the nat on/off, do I use the DMZ, Do I need any of it on?

The links to the forums are great though, as they will help me with future router issues and the like. Thanks
N/A

on the modem set up a DMZ with the routers ip as the DMZ, that way the modem will forward all traffic to said router at which point you can start NAT etc
N/A

Cheers Mate.

I thought it maust be something like that, but when I tried the other night I kept messing up. I guess I was too tired. I will give it a shot later, and let you know if all is well!

Thanks again
N/A

All working fine now Cheesy

Thank you ever so much...
N/A

np Wink glad I could help.