cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear

N/A

Netgear

Hey,

Im useing a wireless router by netgear product no. DG824M and a pc card no. MA521, my connection keeps on getting lost then reconnected all the time, why? how do i fix this? thanks in advanced,

Tim
11 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear

I guess it must have disconnected, hence the duplicate post Huh

Check you do not have anything in the "idle timeout" in the router settings. If it is set to zero, you will have to check your wiring, filters, sockets etc as in the tutorials section of this forum.
N/A

Netgear

done that
N/A

Netgear

Is it a set time or random? If its random does anything happen in the house like mobile phone,digital phone or anything radioish that could cause it?
N/A

Netgear

yeah its random any no i dont think there any fing radiish doin
N/A

Netgear

Just confirm, is it the router taht looses DSL connection or your PC loosing wireless connection to the router ?Huh
N/A

Netgear

the laptop loses the connection a pc on the network thats wireless dosent lose it connection
N/A

Netgear

I assume the laptop is also wireless. If so, you will have no option but to move the laptop closer to the router ( or vice versa) or get a higher powered card.

The wireless distance is limited and things like walls, radio interference (which you will not know about unless you have the correct monitoring equipment) and mains hum will all reduce the distance.
N/A

Netgear

yer suppose if i get a faster card are they more powerful? or is speed not power?
N/A

Netgear

That I don't know as I don't use wireless due to a known interference source.
Faster does not always mean more power/longer range. You will have to check the specs of the available cards.
N/A

Netgear

I have the Netgear 834G and had similar problems. My colleague has the 824 and also had the problems you did.

Here are my suggestions, they resolved both our issues.

Firstly ensure that you have the latest firmware for the router, 1.0.3 I think. This immediately improved performance.

Secondly on my laptop with the wireless card I stopped using the Microsoft connection tool and configured it to only use the Netgear one (also with the latest version from the netgear site).

With both these fixes applied I now have nearly 100% connectivity. There is the odd failure but very rare.
N/A

Netgear

ok i try it