cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Router

N/A

Netgear Router

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched and have came up with nothing.

I have purchased a Netgear Router (RP614) and I have to plug in the cable from my modem (Binatone ADSL 500) into the router. My problem is that the cable from my modem is USB and the port in my router is an ethernet connection.

Is there a device that that connect these two? I have spent a lot of money on the router and just want it to work. I wish to play xbox live and I am completely new to all this, hopefully this will make some sense to someone.

Thanks in Advance
Helen
7 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear Router

you have a few options

Modem -> PC - > Router -> rest of lan
Modem -> USB 2 Ethernet Converter -> Router -> PC

or buy your self a modem that isnt USB
N/A

Netgear Router

From a netgear website

The Web Safe Router Gateway is sleekly designed and is compatible with all Ethernet cable and DSL modems and with all Internet service providers.

The clue is it only supports DSL and cable modems and is not suitable for what you want you need somthing like the netgear dg814. You need a router with a built in modem should cost £50 or so
N/A

Netgear Router

I know I am really dumb, what is Lan? Is it cheap to get a USB to ethernet converter?

Kind Regards
Helen
N/A

Netgear Router

well as mwright just pointed out, your router is for Cable, not Phoneline DSL and thust wont work that well :p

LAN = local area network

and i dont know about the converters sorry
Community Veteran

Netgear Router

I doubt a USB to lan/Ethernet converter will work because the USB modem requres the drivers running on windows for it to work. and your router won't have a clue what to do with your USB modem.

You have bought the wrong router, you need one that has a built in ADSL modem. DSL routers are designed to connect to cable (NTL/Telewest) networks not ADSL. I suggest you return it and buy one that has a built in ADSL modem like the netgear DG834 as trying to get your router working with ADSL is going to cost a lot more than a new router.
N/A

Sorry

The Binatone ADSL 500 and the Netgear RP614 will not work togther.

The Binatone ADSL modem is USB device
The Netgear RP614 is Ethernet device

You have 2 options :-
1/ Purchase a ethernet modem
2/ Purchase a combined modem/router (and forget the 'box' you have).

I would recommend option 2 for a easy setup. The Netgear DG632 is designed to connect a PC via USB and a Xbox (price approx £50) or IF you have a ethernet card in your PC the Netgear DG834 - £60.
Both have in built in firewall for extra security (again its easy to setup)

I would try to return the RP614 and explain - hope you get soughted out
N/A

Netgear Router

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got the router primarily for xbox live, but I just hooked up through ICS and it's fine. I will sell my router on ebay.