cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Router & Norton Firewall

N/A

Netgear Router & Norton Firewall

My netgear router worked first time out of the box and came supplied with its own firewall software. So I would disable other firewalls before installation.
7 REPLIES
mitchell20
Grafter

Netgear DG834G

Broadband newbie here - Signed up to PlusNet just waiting for my RFS Date (11th Feb 2004) Cheesy

I have already bought a NetGear DG834G ADSL router as I will be connecting 2 wired networked PC's and a wireless lap-top - when it comes to connecting it in mid-Feb, should I first un-install Norton Internet Security 2003 :?: (I currently have this configured to protect my current dial-up account)
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834G

You should not have to disable NIS to get the router working and the more protection you have the better. It may need a tweak or two to get things properly locked down.

In any case the netgear will only protect incoming connection attempts (It has NAT not a proper firewall) and it will not protect you from virii / trojans on your PC that try to make a connection out of your PCs which NIS will do (if properly cofigured).

So keep NIS running on your PC. You might still need it if you need to revert back to dialup if your ADSL fails fo some reason.
N/A

Netgear DG834G

I agree that probably it won't hurt to keep the software (probably....), but as a (so far) happy user of the 834G myself, I'm curious what you mean about it not having a "proper Firewall"?

I can configure it to block (Firewall?) sites. I can configure it to block specific inbound or outbound ports or serviices. So what features prevent it being considered a firewall.

Note, I'm genuinely interested here, not breaking your balls - I'm not running software security on PCs on the inside the NetGear firewall beyond McAfee Anti Virus. So what protection am I missing out on?
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834G

I can configure it to block (Firewall?) sites. I can configure it to block specific inbound or outbound ports or serviices. So what features prevent it being considered a firewall.

I confused it with the DG814 which only has NAT. You are correct the 834 model has a 'proper' firewall i.e. SPI - staeful packet inspection that allows incoming and outgoing block protection. Sorry for the confusion Shockedops - there are too many products around now to keep track of all the new features.

Note, I'm genuinely interested here, not breaking your balls - I'm not running software security on PCs on the inside the NetGear firewall beyond McAfee Anti Virus. So what protection am I missing out on?

Even though the 834 does have a proper firewall I always tend to be over cautious and run a software firewall on all my PCs. This can give the added protection of logging or stoping virii/trojans (on an infected PC) making outbound connections, possibly on ports you were not aware of which are not blocked on the router's firewall. Software firewall can block programs from running whereas a router firewall can only block the ports they may be trying to use (if you already know about them of course!).

So my answer to the original post still stands, keep NIS running for another layer or protection.

Cheers

Peter Cool
mitchell20
Grafter

Netgear DG834G

Cheesy

Thanks for the advice....I've also emailed Symantec and they told me to keep NIS installed and enter all the network PC IP addresses including the routers IP address using the home network set-up section of NIS.
N/A

Netgear DG834G

Maybe I'm being overly sceptical, but did you really expect Symantec to reply to you - "Oh, you've got a hardware firewall... well that's nice then, you don't need our product any more."? :shock:
mitchell20
Grafter

Netgear DG834G

:lol: :lol: yeah I guess....but you can never have too much protection...I'll let you know what happens when I connect the DG834G up.....only 37 days till my exchange's RFS date - then I guess another 5-7 days to be activated. Not that I'm counting or anything hehe Cheesy Cheesy