cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834GT sync problems

Laser
Grafter

For well over a year my DG834GT has held my MaxDSL line between 5000 and 6000 kbps without trouble. It tended to hover around a 6dB SNR figure and was quite stable (unless there was a storm or something). I believe the line has interleaving on.

Over the last couple of months it has not been so good. It will still happily sync in the 5500kbps range, but as soon as anything causes it to drop sync speed, sometimes as low as 1500kbps, it never syncs back upwards to recover, meaning I have to manually reboot it to get the speed back. The SNR is then often up around 17dB.

I've tried upgrading the firmware to no avail. This doesn't clear out all the settings though. I have hunted all over for possible electrical interference but cannot identify anything new. I took considerable care when I was first Maxed to set up an "ideal" phone line, with a proper master socket faceplate and ring wire isolation.

Can anyone suggest a setting or telnet command that may help? I am not bothered by occasional interference causing the sync to drop, but I want it to recover back to the speed it "should" achieve after the glitch has passed. My BT profile (what an annoying idea that is!) of course tracks the "new" stable speed downwards.
4 REPLIES
HelpingHands-IT
Dabbler

Netgear DG834GT Box

Hi

The problems you are having are not specific to the Netgear device your using and unfortunately there is no "Netgear" fix other than the firmware upgrade you have already carried out OR a Reset (with the power ON press and hold in the reset button for 30 seconds). The problem sounds like a "too many people connected to the node" issue or more likely something has physically changed on your line and you would be advised to raise a ticket with PN or TRY and find a helpful person at BT who can make "GAIN alterations.

I hope this helps or at least allows you to close one avenue

Jeff Imms
Helping Hands - IT
Laser
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Jeff. Smiley

Since the device quite happily syncs with the exchange, even though the rate moves around, I don't think there's any direct problem with my kit or the exchange. The issue is purely one of the modem not apparently wanting to move the sync back upwards when it could easily do so.

I'm not sure if that has always been the case and I'm just seeing more interference lately, or whether some setting has become misconfigured.

Anyway, I've now done a factory-default settings, firmware re-grade, every type of hard reset I can think of and re-entered all the settings from scratch.

Maybe it will help! :roll:
HelpingHands-IT
Dabbler

SNR

The SNR of 17db could be the underlaying reason why you can only connect at the speed you have. My snr is 6db and gives me 7600kbs or there abouts. The snr or noise on the line is what is affecting your service and not the physical device.

I hope this helps
Laser
Grafter

Appreciate your answering, but I think we might have some crossed wires here. :?

The router syncs at around 5500k with 6dB SNR if I reset it. It holds this all day long.

From time to time (and more and more frequently) some (presumably) interference causes the sync to drop to around 2000k or less. That is to be expected if something temporarily trashes the signal.

The problem, as such, is that once the interference has passed, the router stats show an SNR of 15-20dB (I had 21dB yesterday) and yet the router hasn't attempted to re-sync to a higher speed. A reset immediately gets a 6dB SNR and a ~5500 sync.

Maybe it's normal, but it seems daft if it is, and certainly something that I never used to have a problem with. I thought the router and the DSLAM were supposed to negotiate the speed dynamically.

(I have, in the past, messed about with the target SNR figures and determined it will hold sync moderately reliably with around 2dB SNR. The gain was not worth the poorer stability though, getting me only about 6500k sync at best.)