cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G vs Linksys WAG54G

N/A

which one do you think is better for using with p2p software like bittorent ? i've heard that the Netgear routers have a problem when opening too many ports with p2p software and the broswing is slowing down dramatically. Is the same situation happening with the Linksys router or is it handling things better? any help appreciated
10 REPLIES
N/A

Yes some netgear routers slow down when a large number of connections are established, however it's not as bad as people would make you believe. I have a Netgear DG834 and even when running bit torrent I can still surf without too much trouble.

I would way up the costs, easy of installation and setup, as well as whether they suffer problems under certain suituations. I can't comment on the linksys as I've never used one.

Aaron
N/A

Where as gadgetboy has a netgear, I have the LinkSys, so I can not comment on the Netgear Smiley

It is not just limited to Netgear, my replacement D-Link DSL-G604T had that problem, even playing Vietcong on a large server causes it to slow down to a halt, and can take a good few minutes before it recovers. But.... some people I have spoken have said yes theirs do that, but others say that theirs are fine.

I replaced it with the LinkSys WAG54G, and once setup with the port forwarding etc, it has worked fine ever since.

The only problem I can forsee with the LinkSys is that it is limited to 20 single port forwarding, and 20 range port forwarding.
N/A

:shock: I'd have thought they'd allow for more rules, I've got 54 rules so far (inbound and outbound combined), and no obviously signs of a limit.

Aaron
N/A

does the linsys have UPnP like Netgear? or do i have to set up rules for everything?
N/A

it does indeed have uPnp

aye I thought it was strange too, others I have tested have had unlimited rules, or at least no set limit that I could see... however I must admit that I have yet to use them all... only probably 50% used.

the one thing I have found amusing with the LinkSys is that when loading up pages for the router, not all the images load :shock:
holdtight
Grafter

Have you noticed it does it on the set up page as well not displaying
the Linksys graphic or border, but its a splendid router and ive not had any grief with it.
N/A

aye, the borders are tempermental, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but the linksys n cicso logo on top left and bottom right comes up with a red x lol Cheesy

but yea, not had any problems with it at all *touch wood* .... watch it fall over now Smiley
Tiger50
Grafter

My experience of both units

Hi I bought the Netgear DG834G, very easy to setup and had three desktops and two mobile laptops connected to the internet and network......

I found the signal strength tended to be on the weak side, and I thought it must have just been the unit I bought.......I spoke with the supplier and they sent me another unit just to make sure..................

The signal strength was still weak on the second unit so I sent two emails to netgear through there support page (I had updated the firmware to the latest version) but have had no reply........

I then got back in touch with my supplier and explained that I was still not happy with the signal strength, and asked if they could supply me with a Linksys WAG54G, and they agreed........

I did buy a 5 db gain Ariel for the netgear but it did not increase the signal strength much...........

I installed the Linksys WAG54G unit, updated the firmware and the signal strength is better than the netgear with the 5db gain Ariel,

I was disappointed with netgear for not answering my emails......

I though I would share my experience of these units with you........

Good luck whichever way you go:
holdtight
Grafter

ive not had much to do with the netgear but i have always had
excellent signal strength with the Linksys even using my laptop with
a Linksys wireless card i can go and sit right at the end of my garden
about 45 ft from where the router is and still get a really good signal
so im well chuffed with it Cheesy

im temping fate saying all this so like you wytelion
i too am touching lots of wood Wink
N/A

thanks for all the replies guys, i ordered the Linksys router so hopefully i will have it this week and see how it goes Cheesy