cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G and Teamspeak

willow147
Grafter

I'm using the DG834G box and have some issues with it and teamspeak (voice comms). I have got round the problem but not sure if it's what I should be doing.

I was unable to connect to my clans teamspeak server, after doing some port forwarding and could then connect but not hear correctly what people where saying (very broken up speach).

Looking at the firewall logs I see it mentioned DoS. If I tick the box in the router setup that says not to check for DoS attacks everything works fine, thing is I don't really like the idea of leaving this box unticked.

ALSO

I tried to upgrade the firmware to 1.04 but could only do it after setting the router to factory defaults. I have now had the same problem with trying to upgrade to 1.05. What happens when I upgrade is that I choose the image file for the upgrade and when I click the botton to make it do the upgrade (sorry, can't remember the text on it as it's at home and I'm at work) I get the hour glass and the message telling me not to interrupt and this may take a few minutes. Doesn't matter how long I wait the router stays on this screen, I have to turn the box off and on again (as I said, I have to restore factory defaults before I can successfully upgrade).

I downloaded 1.05 from Netgear, restored defaults, upgraded the router, it said everything worked OK but when I go into the settings it tells me it's still 1.04.

Arrrrgggghhhhh
10 REPLIES
Highlighted
N/A

The DoS protections looks for traffic that has the characteristics of a DoS attack, and simply drops it..

The problem with this sort of detection, si that is is pre-programmed and basic.

Teamspeak may well use data sizes, that have all the hallmarks of a DoS attack, and as such, are dropped.

Disabling DoS protection will not do any real harm, and will infact likely improve speeds some some sites that have been slightly slow.
N/A

Always use a hardwired connection when updating firmware. If you are using wireless to update, this could be the problem. Reset the router to factory defaults and upgrade the firmware via cable connection.
Firmware 1.04.01 resolved some issues with MSN and voice, it could be the same with teamspeak.

If the teamspeak software supports UPnP, turn that on in the router and install it on the PC (it is not installed in XP by default). You will then be able to turn DoS protection back on (which I would not turn off anyway, but thats personal)
willow147
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.

Don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to network jargon but here goes.

I have uPnP installed in XP (it's a service, right?) and enabled on the router. I still however need the DoS checking to be turned off to run Teamspeak, but hey, I can live with that.

I have tried to upgrade to 1.05 and it says that it's completed successfully but I have to turn the router off then on again before I can access it, the first power light doesn't come back on again until I've turned it off. Once this is done it still says that 1.04 is STILL installed.
N/A

The software, Teamspeak, has to also support UPnP for the whole thing to work using UPnP. MSN6 supports UPnP as do a few other messengers of this type.
UPnP will open the ports on the router needed by the software. That way, it should be possible for DoS protection can be put back on as the correct ports will have been opened by UPnP.

However, if the Teamspeak software does not support UPnP, nothing will happen and you are back to the start.

Firmware 1.04 had a few bugs, on DSL sync. Try downgrading to 1.03 and then directly up to 1.05.
If you want, all firmware versions 1.03, 1.04.01 and 1.05, together with the recovery utility are downloadable from my site at:
www.cqg4uzg.plus.com/DG/DG834RecoveryUtility.zip

You could try the recovery utilty to upgrade the firmware, as you obviously have a problem by the normal route (software firewall or faulty browser maybe). You must use a hardwired connection to upgrade the firmware.

Firmware 1.05 has a fix for Improved wireless stability, ADSL microcode to fix syncronization issue on some loops, NetMeeting voice support fixed.
willow147
Grafter

I've now tried to download the firmware to 1.03 but it still insists that 1.04 is installed.

I've also tried the recovery tool, but when I get to the pointafter I choose my adaptor I get an empty device list. It doesn't matter which Adaptor I use I still get an empty device list so therefore cannot carry on.

FYI my adaptor is

NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller

if that makes any difference.
N/A

There must be a problem with your Network adapter and the protocols/drivers.
It sounds like the adapter is one built onto the motherboard and it or the drivers do not support the protocol to communicate with the firmware update.

Make sure you have the correct drivers for it and the protocols installed. Try looking for an updated driver for the adapter.

Alternatively, get a cheap PCI adapter (£5 to £10) and use that or take the router around to a friend and update the firmware using their machine.
willow147
Grafter

You are quite correct the adaptor is built into the motherboard. What puzzles me is that I successfully upgraded to 1.04 from 1.03 with the same setup.

To be honest when it comes to networking and protocols I haven't got a clue, I've no idea which should be installed and which shouldn't. I'll try upgrading from my other machine which I know has a PCI adaptor.

I'll keep you posted
N/A

What puzzles me is that I successfully upgraded to 1.04 from 1.03 with the same setup.

I'm baffled then, as there would have been no changes to the adapter drivers or adapter config by updating the firmware.

On the other PC with standard PCI adapter, try the recovery utility if the normal method fails, just in case there is a firmware corruption with the current installation (stopping an overwrite)
Also, although the DSL connection should be stopped automatically when an upgrade starts, unplug the router from the phone to stop any traffic.
willow147
Grafter

Thanks for all your help on this.

I'll try that tomorrow (don't think my son would appreciate me using his PC in his bedroom at this time of night).

I'll keep you informed.
willow147
Grafter

Thanks for all your help on this.

I'll try that tomorrow (don't think my son would appreciate me using his PC in his bedroom at this time of night).

I'll keep you informed.