cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834

N/A

Netgear DG834

If anyone who is using one of these,or has done in the past would care to comment on them good or bad it would be gratefully appreciated.I am mainly interested in ease of set-up,reliability etc.I am just wondering if there any hidden drawbacks in an all in one unit as in switch,modem and router,as I need to connect both a Windows PC and a Mac

Ian & Linda Jordan
12 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear DG834

Set up is quite easy and unit is very reliable.
NAT and SPI firewall give good security.

Only drawback, from my point of view, is lack of Attenuation and SNR figures for line fault monitoring.
N/A

Netgear DG834

Only drawback, from my point of view, is lack of Attenuation and SNR figures for line fault monitoring.

I am sure that due to the fact that I have'nt a clue what that means,I don't need it :-)

I am wondering having read about it among the newsgroups that some routers do automatic port forwarding (if that is the correct term) if this model has that facility.

Thanks for the the reply

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Netgear DG834

It has UPNP (universal plug & Play), which when enabled on both the router and the Operating System (not installed by default), will open ports as required by the software.
There is only limited software that uses UPNP, so do not expect everything to work. MSN 6 uses UPNP to open ports.

Read this thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16165
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834

A lot of ADSL modems/routers can show the signal strength (Attenuation) and level of noise (SNR - Signal to Noise Ratio) on the ADSL phone line which if outside the limits for ADSL could result in dropped connections or poor line speeds. It can also be used to know if your line can suport 1/2Meg ADSL. All sorts of things can effect the signal levels including distance from exchange (this is often the biggest impact), frost (cold) and wet weather, Interference from street lights etc.

In practice it is not something you need to know to use ADSL and should not be a reason to ignore a particular router, but it can be helpful when you have connection problems. The same info can be gained by BT testing the line (which they did when you originally applied for ADSL) and PlusNet can get the figures through a woosh test.

If you really want to know more about this see ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements.

Here endeth the lesson Wink
N/A

Netgear DG834

Here endeth the lesson Wink

And a very clear and concise lesson it was too :-)
You are correct.I do not really need to know my line loss etc,as I am already on a 1meg connection,it's just that the isdn switch/modem that I am using as a switch at the moment is dying I feel,and the supplied (by Plusnet) Solwise SAR130 can only connect one computer,so time to look for a replacement at reasonable cost.

Once again thank you

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834

Why not just invest in a 4, 5 or 8 port switch/hub - this just allows you to connect multiple PCs together. Just plug the cable that is currently in your PC into the hub then you can connect 3, 4 or 7 more PCs to the hub using ethernet cables and net cards in your other PCs.

The SAR130 is a good router so I see no point in replacing it, just add the bit that's missing - the 4 port switch.

Example for £20: NETGEAR FS105 5 x 10/100 Compact Switch.

You could even go as low as £9.00 - Ebuyer 5 Port 10/100 Switch + Power Adapter.
N/A

Netgear DG834

Thanks Peter

That was something I had not even considered,and it is a great idea.If I may just clarify a point here..... where you say "Just plug the cable that is currently in your PC into the hub",at the moment both computers are connected via ethernet cables to the switch; may I assume this will not change,by using the "switch/hub" you mentioned.

Thanks for your help and money saving :-) advice,and if you could just clear this point up for me I would be grateful,and will leave you in peace :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834

Err now i'm confused....

I'm assuming you have the SAR130 ADSL modem/router just connected to your PC via the Ethernet cable and you want to also connect another system (the Mac) so it can also use the ADSL link at the same time? i.e. to create a small local network.

But now you say the mac and PC are connected together via a switch? What is this switch? do you have a make/model for it? Or did you actually mean the SAR 130 router not a switch?

So what have you got connected to what? and what is the SAR 130 connected to?

A hub and a swicth are basically the same. With the hub being dumb and sending all packets to all ports and a switch being an intelligent hub only sending packs to the PCs that they were destined for thus reducing the 'chatter' on the Ethernet cables.
N/A

Netgear DG834

Just to add that the latest firmware for
the SAR130 adds UPnP support.
Alec
N/A

Netgear DG834

I am probably going to confuse myself now trying to explain,at the moment the wifes laptop and my Mac are connected via ethernet cables to a "Vigor 2200x " external ISDN modem that I believe also acts as a switch and has the facility to connect 4 computers via ethernet:a cable then runs from the "Vigor" to the SAR130 which then goes to the ADSL socket,each computer has it's own IP address,and both can operate online at the same time or independently, and are not dependent on the other computer being switched on. So I am assuming that the switch you mentioned will do the same job as the "Vigor" and that the ethernet cables would just plug in the same...... how my set up works I don't know it just has for the best part of a year now,it's just your mention of "plug the cable thats in the PC" threw me a bit of a wobbly :-)

My reason for assuming this was because last night when the 'Vigor" played up I just unplugged the ethernet cable and plugged it into the SAR130 and away it went.

Anyway I am going to get the Netgear switch you mentioned and if it does'nt work; at those prices it's no great finacial loss,and even if I then have to get the router it is still going to less expensive then the "Vigor"

Sorry for the confusion,explaining this sort of thing is not one of my strongpoints.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Netgear DG834

Just to add that the latest firmware for
the SAR130 adds UPnP support.
Alec

I had read that;and have installed the latest firmware update,but I am not entirely convinced that the "Mac" supports UPnP,but am in the process of looking into that.

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834

Ahh, the mist is clearing... Ok, I see what you have now - you actually wanted to replace the SAR130 & Vigor with a single unit to connect 3 PCs - which is very different to what I thought you had from your original post but that's always happening in this kind of enviroment. It just takes a few more questions to understand fully Wink

So I assume the vigor ISDN modem is not actually being used as a modem anymore but just as a 4 port switch. In which case just replace the vigor with the netgear switch and it will work exacty the same. If you have any problems just post back.