cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834 - a couple of questions.

N/A

Hi

I recently bought the Netgear DG834 v2 and overall I'm pleased with it.However I don't know if it's just me but it doesn't seem to multi-task very well! e.g. if I download a torrent browsing become near impossible and getting e-mail IS impossible.The same applies with any combo of protocols,it can do one at a time brilliantly but two things no-way.(it doesn't matter how much bandwidth is being used -or not used- it still slows one or the other)
As I'm a complete router novice I know it could well be my ignorance but I can't seem to find an idiots guide to this router.

Finally,port forwarding - do I need to do this?Everything seems to work quite happily without it e.g. Playstation is fine p2p and torrents also,apart from previously mentioned prob.Although I did forward ports for utorrent to see if this helped with multtasking (it doesn't)

Thanks,

Rob
9 REPLIES
avalon
Grafter

Are you limiting your torrent upload speed? If not you should limit it to around a total of 22k. If you don't then your up connection will be swamped by the torrent and won't be able to send out page requests etc very quickly, so obviously you won't get them delivered quickly.
N/A

I've got the same router as you. I find it can multitask quite well actually, it can certainly download torrents while at the same time allowing you to browse/get email (unless you're maxing out your bandwidth like the poster above suggested). I download torrents while browsing and getting email all the time, every few days at least, and I have done for years...

The one thing I do find though, is that even if I set a torrent to upload at 5kb/sec, that will still cause periodic high ping spikes during gaming. This wouldn't be noticed unless you were playing games or doing something time sensitive. I'm not sure if this is down to the router struggling slightly with multitasking or if it's "just the way the Internet works", if you are uploading/downloading even a little then maybe that can cause slight ping rises because data has to queue to get in/out?
avalon
Grafter

I use the DG834Gv2 also and I've never had any bother with using my connection whilst using P2P unless I have maxed out my upload speed. That's why I thought that might be the reason.

As for the problems whilst gaming. Well I suspect that is more down to congestion on the exchange/internet in general rather than the router. The router is basicially programmed to do the same thing every second of it's life, inspecting and directing packets.

I would be surprised if it was taking longer to process a packet one second and less the next, even if heavily loaded. After all the DG834g is capable of firmware upgrade to ADSL2+ at 24Mb/s so your current current 2 Megs shouldn't be taxing the hardware too much.
Community Veteran

What firmware are you using? If it's the original 1.05.00 then update it the the latest v3 and this should improve things and the router itself will be more stable.

I have been using the same model for well over a year and it works very well with P2P as long as you limit the upload to not more than 20Kbs (I normally run around the 15Kbs mark and browing is a little slow but very usable) and the download to approx 75% of your download speed. Currently I'm uplading at 15Kbs and downloading at 80Kbs and a refresh of the BBC news website took less than 5 seconds.

Also you will need to limit the max number of connections your P2P app uses. I recommend a figure of 300 which has worked very well for me. The netgear will go up to 500 but things do tend to get very sluggish as it starts to run out of nat sessions.
N/A

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I found this from a review on Adslguide and it is exactly the same for me

"The Netgear DG834 performs very well with an average level of Internet usage, but we found that if you run some of the major peer-to-peer (p2p) applications it can cause other applications to become slug-like in their speed of operating, sometimes requiring multiple clicks for web pages to refresh, this is even with the P2P application having its bandwidth use limited."

I'm becoming very used to the multiple click scenario!

I have tried limiting the speed up and down on all apps with no luck.

Rob
N/A

Rob, I've been using a DG834 (the non wlan version) for sometime and not had a problem... p2p and browsing together with email & voip works fine. I tend to use bittorrent with the client (azereus) set to around 100 down and 20 up.
Community Veteran

What firmware are you running? If it's not 3.01.25 try that.

The review was done Oct 8th 2004 on an early firmware release. Lots of speed & reliability improvements have been added since that version.

I have been running P2P and maxing my line out at times (when possible) with the DG834 with no problems whatsoever in using web/email at the same time.
N/A

Hi rpunshon,

The one think you didn't mention was your line speed as this can have an impact when using Bit Torrent and other applications at the same time.

I've generally found when using BT (and I'm on a 1Mb Line), that browsing can slow down at times. I also use the DG834 router but I've kept my version of firmware to 2 something. i found version 3 made the router unstable.
N/A

Thanks everyone for all the input.

To be honest due to the sporadic nature of the problem I'm thinking it may be more to do with line quality or Plusnets sometimes heavy handed approach to traffic shaping than the router which I think is a great bit of kit despite the few probs I've encountered.

Thanks again,
Rob.