cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with networks

N/A

Need help with networks

Hi guys, I wish to set up a network in the future with 2 computers and 1 laptop.
I have absolutly no idea about networks so kinda need my hand held.

I was thinking of having all 3 wireless, with one thats going to be a game server, my main PC playing online games every day and laptop for general internet use, but I heard wireless is no good for that since it sends data in "bursts" and will lag everything.

Is wireless good enough now for things like this? If so id like to find out how to go about doing this.

If not then id like to have the 2 PC's wired with just the laptop wireless.

Current setup is phone socket downstairs, extension wire in it coming up to my room, then a microfilter with the phone and my broadband modem plugged into it.

I would like to keep the wire coming to my room, with the router at the end in my room so I can connect both my PC's, then basically have the laptop wireless to use all round the house (if wireless is ok now for constant gameing then id keep it all downstairs and wireless everything).

What id like to know is how would a laptop connect? I can build PC's etc but have no idea how laptops work what hardware would be needed etc. What hardware is needed other than a router? Basically need help with all the hardware needed for all 3 systems.

Thanks
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Need help with networks

Is wireless good enough now for things like this? If so id like to find out how to go about doing this.

Sorry Don't Know :-(

If not then id like to have the 2 PC's wired with just the laptop wireless.

To do this then you would need a network card in both PC's with a cable from each into your router

What id like to know is how would a laptop connect? I can build PC's etc but have no idea how laptops work what hardware would be needed etc. What hardware is needed other than a router? Basically need help with all the hardware needed for all 3 systems.

To connect the laptop you would need a USB Dongle or PCMIA Card thingy.
If you connect your PC's with wires you will need a standard network card in each.
If you connect your PC's wirelessly you will need a wireless network card in each.

Hope This Helps! Wink
N/A

Need help with networks

wires are better for heavy data loads such as gaming as they provide a constant bandwidth that wont dip due to walls etc. Thus it would be best to wire your two PCs up to the router.

For a wireless Card in your laptop, get a buffalo WLAN card, good yet quite cheep. you will also need a wireless router (wiht a wired switch) i recomend a linksys one.

Place the WLAN card into your PC-CARD slot (renamed from PCMCIA cos no one could be assed to type it) they are usualy found on the side of your laptop with blanking plastic trays in them, with a small push release button on the left or right of them. Place the card into these.

Hope that helps a bit
N/A

Need help with networks

Hi,

Check out Netgears configurator here Should give you all the info you need.
N/A

Need help with networks

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Re: Need help with networks

@hbandrew
but I heard wireless is no good for that since it sends data in "bursts" and will lag everything.

I don't know about this for sure, but the wireless network (54 or 108 Mbits) will typically be 25 times faster than your ADSL link (2Mbits) to the Internet, so even if it does work in "bursts" you're unlikely to see any problems. To that end all comms systems (including wired ones) work in bursts, if they did not, only one machine could ever use the network.

Regards,
Kevin
N/A

Need help with networks

Hi,

Wireless should give you 54Mb/s which should be fast enough for most applications - it is about 5MBytes/sec (You can get faster)
I use a Belkin ADSL modem/router which has 4 ethernet ports plus wireless connection. Currently I have 3 pc's connected to it plus a laptop. I intend to move one of the PC's downstairs and connect using a wilreless link. I have bought a wireless adaptor.
Since you have a modem all you need to buy is a wireless router. There are plenty of routers available.
The laptop should be no different to the other PC's as far as connecting to the network. Some laptops come with an ethernet port or even a wireless adaptor as standard (depends on how new etc). If yours doesn't have a wireless connection you can buy a wireless-USB 'dongle'. They are about £20.
I buy most of my hardware from Stak and have found them to be pretty good both on price and service.
You need to make sure your wireless connection is encrypted to make it secure.

Steve
N/A

Need help with networks

I play online games like Dod, Cs, Quake, Unreal, Cod and connect through vpn to work all on wireless conections, using one main system and two laptops. Have had no problems, no lag or gaming glitches.

1. Main system - Belkin Adsl Modem wireless G Router 125mbs, 4 ethernet ports.
2. Both Laptops - Belkin High speed mode 125mbs wireless G notebook network cards.
Belkin are cheap and seem to be reliable, and connect straight away, only problem i did have was with another laptop with linux installed, no drivers for the belkin cards, had to use universal ones which caused some minor slow downs.... Cool

Installing wireless cards and modem/routers are very easy, like with belkin products you get very easy picture by picture installation gides on how to setup and install, usualy will take about 20mins to install modem, and two laptop cards......... or less...... Wink
Belkin Neworking Help
N/A

Need help with networks

We tried wireless and wired. Living in a bungalow didn't help.....the corners made one of the wireless connections unreliable. We have now hard wired all of them (5) to the router. Though we could have left one wireless because it worked well.

We used a d-link 604+ and occasionally have to reboot but apart from that have had no problems.

One old computer has an external linksys network adapter because it didn't have room in it for a card. (Be careful with these as they are easy to break).

It isn't difficult, I managed it!