Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with hard drive problem

N/A

Hello,
Can you help me please?

I am building a new computer and have copied my C drive from the Parallel HD drive on my old computer to a new Serial HDD. The new Serial drive works well in my old computer but wont boot in the new computer. I have set the bios to default setting and plugged the Serial HDD into the number one socket. The drive is recognised in the bios and is selected as the boot drive in the bios.

Have you please any Idea what I may have forgotten or not done to make this drive boot my new PC.

Sincerely
Peter Hayler
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Which motherboard are you using.
Assuming you have changed motherboards then a lot of the drivers simply won't work.
You will almost certainly need to reinstall windows.
Have you checked to see if you can boot from the XP CD (I assume you are using XP)
Note that if you are going to reinstall with a SATA drive as the boot drive make sure that you don't have any PATA hard drives connected otherwise the install will fail.
If you don't want to lose all your settings/programs you could try the advanced XP repair function - see this link on how to do it.
N/A

Hi hotlane
Thanks for your prompt reply, I did what you said and used the R in the instal section of the Windows XP CD and it installed windows and saved all my settings and I am using my new PC to reply to you. I hae learned a lot from this and from your contribution for which I am very grateful.
I have also reactivated windows XPO succesfully.
so many thanks
Peter