cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with DNS

glyndev
Grafter

Need help with DNS

I have set up a server at home. Have set up Apache, PHP and MySQL no problem But cannot get my head around setting up a BIND DNS server.

I have had a good look around the net but can't find an easy tutorial to explain how to set it up. (Or am I being thicker than I already know I am.)

As things are I have set up an admin account on the directory above all the other sub-domain directories then move into the appropriate sub domain directory from there. Not ideal as some of the paths in PHP Nuke and Media Wiki dont work correctly without without constantly altering the config files. And constantly using a proxy is a pain.

What I want is to set up my home network so that I can type in the URL for the site hosted on my server to get the site up and work on it.

I have 5 domains at present and have several sub-domains for each. Can someone please help me stop pulling my hair out and going bald.

The domains are ...
The-devonports.co.uk with a sub for each member of the family e.g. glyn. michelle. etc.

model-rail.me.uk with dcc. horail etc.

History-for.me.uk with subs

glyn-devonport.me.uk with subs.

Any and all help greatly received.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Need help with DNS

Can't answer your Q as its been years since I last configured BIND, but you could use PNs DNS for what you have specified as you can setup sub-domains pointing to your own IP/webserver.

You then setup virtual hosting in apache to direct the requests to the correct local directory.
glyndev
Grafter

Need help with DNS

I have already set up the subs using the +net DCS. But if I enter the URL for the site that I want to work on e.g. http://bmrc.model-rail.me.uk I get refered back to my router and not to the site on my server. But using a proxy elswhere I can get to the site no problem.

That is why I need a local DNS server just for the LAN. Even if it is useing something other than BIND.

P.S. PC's are using windoze xp server is using Fedora core 6.
Community Veteran

Need help with DNS

Ah, I see what you mean. You can't normally use your external IP when accessing domains from an internal networked PC as the router gets confused.

Again not BIND but you could just set up a number of host entries for each domain/subdomain in Windows pointing them all to you servers local IP address.

in XP the hosts file is in WINDOWS\systems32\etc

10.0.0.1 model-rail.me.uk
10.0.0.1 bmrc.model-rail.me.uk

etc
Community Veteran

Need help with DNS

Have you seen this one?

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialWebSiteConfig.html

This mentions system-config-bind graphical application for configuring BIND. I had to yum install it on my FC4 box but it may already be on FC6.
glyndev
Grafter

Need help with DNS

Thanks for the reminder about the 'Hosts' file in windows. Got it sorted now and working ok.

But still want to get into DNS as with the family etc. I dont want to be updating th 'Hosts' file on every comp (4 at the moment but will increase to 6 or 7) every time something is added to the server.

A couple of the family want their own domains and am at limit with +net, so better if I get a DNS server set up to make things easier in long run.

Anyway thanks for your help.