cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help please! chnaging hard drive!

N/A

Hiya I am a techno idiot, I have at present a 20gb hard drive in my pc which has about 2gb left of free space, I have just bought a 200gb hard drive to replace, how is the best way to transfer the existing progs, OS etc onto the new hard drive. Or do I have to just replace and rebuild? sorry this is probably a very easy question but I am thick!

Thanks in advance of any help!

Peter
19 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

You can move your existing setup onto your new drive my means of ghosting them across with the likes of Acronis True or even Norton Ghost. There are some free ones available also but I cannot vouch for these as I have never used them and well they are free afterall.

I have tried Acronis True and it didnt work for me, however Norton Ghost does. Others prefer Acronis True over Norton Ghost.

Basically you would clone your existing drive over to your new drive inc all boot sectors etc. This would then take the place of the old 20GB. Be sure though before cloning to have the 200GB set to slave and then when replacing the 20GB having it set to Master.

Regards,
zpeterk
Grafter

edit: Tom beat me to it!!

Use ghost or Acronis to clone the old drive then chance the boot order
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

This can be relatively easy but first I need to know what operating system you are using so that I can be more specific.
Note that unless you are running Windows XP you are going to have serious problems as FAT32 doesn't really support very large drive sizes. See this link
However I would question whether you should replace the hard drive or just add a second one.
There are major advantages in having your operating system on a separate drive and all your other programs and data on a second drive. You can also backup your operating system onto the second drive using something like Acronis which will allow complete recovery if there are problems later.
Finally, as your present system only has a 20GB hard drive it is probably fairly old and you need to check the maximum hard drive size your bios will support and whether you need to flash to an updated bios.
I have assumed that you have bought an IDE drive and not a SATA but please confirm this.
N/A

Actually,

Couple of good points there Jim. I just took the immediate stance that windows XP was in use :: Hides :: .
I should really get into the habit of exploring other options also but it always seems easier to answer a question on how its asked.
Community Veteran

Tom,
After a few years on computer building and overclocking forums I have come to realise that you should never assume any specific level of knowledge without asking a few questions first.
I appreciate that on these forums it is normally better to limit the response to the specific question but with computer hardware modifications i have found that it can be very risky.
Sorry for the long winded reply.
N/A

no ask simple questions cos I am an idiot! ok running xp pro, on a dell dimension 4500 prob is the new drive is a SATA and my existing seems to be an IDE!! see told u I'm a prat! ok how do i find out if my motherboard supports sata and then what cable etc would i need ??

thanks for your quick help!!
N/A

hiya my motherboard is

Motherboard Name Intel Pendleton 2 D845EPT2

does that help?Huh
N/A

hiya thanks for your help I have bought an incorrect hard drive off ebay i need IDE my mistake, anyone want a 200gb sata hard drive for what I paid for it will do free delivery!
N/A

hiya thanks for your help I have bought an incorrect hard drive off ebay i need IDE my mistake, anyone want a 200gb sata hard drive for what I paid for it will do free delivery!
Community Veteran

No problems but before getting an IDE drive you had better check the maximum capacity your bios will support. It certainly won't be 200GB.
A thought. Did you buy from a commercial seller on e-bay. if you did the long distance selling regulations should apply and you may be able to return it.
N/A

how do i do that, as i said I am a total idiot when it comes to this!
Community Veteran

I had two windows open at the same time and this response should have come first.
From the Dell specifications this is not SATA compatible.
Note that this may have come with an OEM version of windows and it is possible that changing the hard drive could invalidate the Microsoft License. It shouldn't but with Microsoft/Dell you can never be sure.
I would recommend adding a second hard drive as per the instructions here
With regard to maximum size it is very doubtful if the bios will support a 200GB IDE drive
Community Veteran

how do i do that, as i said I am a total idiot when it comes to this!
I assume you are asking about the maximum size your MB will support.
The best way is to ask Dell.
Community Veteran

Further check this link indicates that maximum original hard drive size was 120Gb which ties in with the old 137GB limit so this may well be the maximum your motherboard will support
Also if you go to this link and click on IDE and EIDE you will see the same information.