cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help big time

N/A

Need help big time

Hi im trying to reformat and install windows.

Im trying to install windows 98 and then install an upgrade to windows me this is for my parents who wish not to pay for an upgrade of windows xp which I have no hassle formatting and installing for.....

So anyways I've never done this for 98 I found a websie with info on it whic all seemed simple enough heres what it said

"Now, create a boot disk. Creating a Windows 98 boot disk is easy. If Windows 98 came factory-installed with your machine then one may have been supplied with your documentation. If not, you can create one through the Control Panel. In Windows, go to Add/Remove Programs and click the "StartUp Disk" tab and click the "Create Disk" button. It will create a boot disk on a blank floppy for you with CD-ROM support.

This is important, as you'll need access to your CD-ROM drive to do a new Windows98 install.

Once the boot disk is created, test it to see if you can access your CD-ROM drive. To do this reboot the machine with the floppy disk in the floppy drive and when the machine restarts choose "Start with CD-ROM support".

At the prompt type d: and hit the Enter key. If the machine responds with D:\> you are in business.

Next type "format c:" without the quotes (and hit ENTER).

The C: drive (main hard drive) will then be wiped clean.

Once the reformat is finished put your Windows CD-ROM disk in the CD-ROM drive, and type "D:\setup" at the prompt. "

Basically after the computer is formatted and I type D:\setup it just says this

"bad command or file name" I noticed after this that at the top of the screen it says The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D

further down the page it states that my cd-drive is drive E

so I now tried E:\setup and it says "CDR101: not ready reading drive E
Abort retry Fail?

after about 15mins it just hangs and does not respond anymore

I have tried many different things but just get the same outcome any help would be great many thanks Sad
26 REPLIES
vikpaw

Need help big time

Have you already done the "format c:" part? if so, you're starting to look in trouble.

It would be useful to be able to test the CD you have in another pc to make sure it works ok, perhaps a laptop.

Reboot with floppy disk. put the CD in the drive and type "e:" (hit enter) if it lets you do that, then type "dir" (hit enter). This should show you what is on the CD and you should see a bunch of folders and a file that is setup.exe which is the one that you are trying to run. I suspect you wont see this folder list.

You can try the above with any CD to test it works. The 'dir' command should show you what's on the CD. Assuming the drive is working and the floppy disk loaded the correct drivers.

One thing to bare in mind, is that when you boot with a floppy disk, you get an option at one point to load with or without CD support, i'm not sure what the default is but make sure you select the option to have CD support.

Also, i'm assuming there is only one CD drive, if you have move, try "F:" as well.

hope it helps. sorry i'm new to this forum malarcky but stuck here waiting for plusnet to fix my lost connection so tht i'd lend a hand.

regards vik
N/A

Need help big time

This guy is having similar issues, the reply is a good way around using the setup.

http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-58398.html
N/A

Need help big time

I checked to make sure the disc was ok before starting and made sure the floppy was correct to.

I have done everything on the list formatting went fine I made sure to select cd support. I did have 2 drives so I took one out when it first failed....Might try putting the other one back in on its own to see if that helps Sad that failed

going to try what you said right now Thanks for helping me Cheesy getting a bit stressed out

must of formatted computers and put xp on about 20 times its so damn easy....
I always like 98 but not anymore lol
N/A

Need help big time

I typed in E: then dir and the folders did come up and the setup file is there....

ARGHHH I have got the boot disc for windows me and not 98 my friend said it would be ok to use it is this the case or will i need the 98 boot disc.

thanks for all the help guys will look into that link as well many thanks
vikpaw

Need help big time

Never used ME as it's pants. Stick to 98, it's small and quick and stable. Second Edition is best. But i digress.

Should be fine to use the ME disk, i guess.

Put it in, type E: then try the dir command, if that works, then type "setup.exe" and see what that does assuming that is the name of the file which you can tell from the dir command, and the second column should also tell you the dot extension which has to .exe In your original post you didn't mention typing the full name with .exe, which i'm pretty sure you have to do.

good luck Smiley
N/A

Need help big time

Yeah I tried .exe Sad no go will try again though just to be sure..

yeah I prefer 98 myself but my parents are used to me and dont like change

Starting to think I might just buy them xp and say it was magic that put it on ther computer

Tried setup.exe again the disc started spinning and gave me the same error as before
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Need help big time

Can you "cd" to the err, "CD" drive? .... e.g, type the following - what does it present?;

E:\

/edit

If it helps, I wrote the following a few years ago to help a friend do exactly the same as yourself....

http://www.it-mate.co.uk/temp/ins_win.asp
N/A

Need help big time

tried phearfactor's link that was looking promising but I end up with the same problem.

after following the link i was given when i type E:\ it now says E:\WIN98
N/A

Need help big time

I gotta go for now need sleep heads hurting to much

thanks for everyones help...will check back tomorrow goodnight Smiley
vikpaw

Need help big time

if u can browse to the drive and view the folder contents, it's got to be a corrupted or scratched disk, i can't see why you'd get an error otherwise.

there is also a setup.exe in the win98 folder so you could try running that see what happens. - just type "setup.exe" after you've done the "e:" bit.

if you need to go back a step, "cd.." will take you back to just plain old e: again. that's 'CD..' with 2 dots!

perhaps letting the pc rest over night will help, failing that in the morning pick it up turn it upside and shake it. i'm not joking, you'd be surprised how many electrical systems respond to this treatment: laptops, mobiles, PDAs. strange but true, in my experience anyway. other than that, check the CD for scratches and / or get another copy.

'gnight
N/A

Need help big time

Hi again

I installed xp on to the pc that went fine im going to try from scratch and put 98 on there now

I took a look inside my parents pc and discovered the ide cable was broken how the hell that happened i do not know......

the cable went to there cd drive and they also have a dvd drive which with windows xp installed could not pick it up on that drive....

gonna find a replacement cable and see how it goes
N/A

Need help big time

Would love to say its all working now but it just seems to be getting worse after putting xp on i tried to put 98 on from scratch but it just complained about the fact the hard drive was ntfs and not fat32 or whatever it is

so i reformatted in fat32 and tried again now its haveing trouble booting up

it sometimes allows me to type format C: then it starts and locks up and says C not ready Sad

The computer was made in 1999 and never had a format

with errors like im recieving would i need a new hard drive ( just noticed it no longer see my hard drive )or new mother board.....my parents are not willing to pay much so a whole new pc wont be any good
N/A

Need help big time

Best thing to do is unplug the kettle plug from the PSU and leave it for 30 minutes or so. Hopefully then it will reboot back up.

Forgot 98/Me etc just stick XP on it and change the Start Menu properties to "Classic Start Menu", they wont even know the difference.

Whether they do or not shouldnt matter anyway, XP is far superior because of how easy it is to install (as you have found out), how much faster it is and safer (NTFS - as you have found out).

Its just a bad idea switching from XP to 98 and it makes no sense.

The reason I didnt post this earlier was I thought the PC was such low spec it couldnt use XP, but obviously it can - so therefore it should be using it Wink
N/A

Need help big time

I thought the win98 cd was self booting and when done so it asked you if you wanted to boot from 1) the cd or 2) the hard drive

?

Or have i just had one too many today.