cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTLDR is missing?????

N/A

NTLDR is missing?????

Does anyone know what tis means NTLDR is missing I am trying to install a new Mobo (This is another one, I got the other one working fine and decided to put a new one in my own pc ) but it wont boot up I keep getting that error message, What ever does it mean, I had put in my own hard drive and the only thing I can do is boot from floppy then it will only start with cd support so I put in windows cd and it starts installing windows I tried using another hard drive and it did the same ....so I let it ....but when it was installed and reboots itself it just starts installing it again, and it I take out the cd I still get that message on both hard drives. Pleeeease help me
Val
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

NTLDR is missing?????

Google is your friend... Wink

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

http://www.bestpricecomputers.ltd.uk/freehelp/ntldr_missing.htm

Or search for 'NTLDR is missing' in google to get many other pages.
holdtight
Grafter

NTLDR is missing?????

I had this same error when booting after modding a case it turned out to
be an ide cable wasnt seated properly
to the touch and to the eye they were all in properly but after i had unplugged
and replugged it booted just fine
might be worth checking this first as its an easy one before going down the road of trying to fix from cd or reinstalling as the system wont pick the disk up if the cable has become unseated anyway

hope it is that easy for you !
N/A

NTLDR is missing?????

YUP same here, exept with me it was the power lead from one of the HD's, i have 3 in there, so I just swapped em all round, and it works fine now!!
N/A

NTLDR is missing?????

Hi all
Thanks for all the info, I dont know what Id do without you
I am about to try all the things youve suggested and have printed out some instructions from site recomended
Ill let you know how I get on
Thanks again
Val
N/A

NTLDR is missing?????

Take the floppy out of the drive? That error can occur due to that Smiley
N/A

NTLDR is missing?????

Hi again
Have tried the easy solutions,and nothing changed What I dont understand is how a hard drive that has been formatted and Win xp reinstalled will work in my old computor yet when I put it in new pc it wont ...........with a brand new Mobo.....
Also I have read miles of info now and lots of it advises to copy the NTldr file onto a floppy from a pc that is running the sameOS but does anyone know wher to find it HuhHuhone result said to copy it from the instalation cd but I couldnt find it ....
can anyone point me in the right direction
Many thanks
Val
holdtight
Grafter

NTLDR is missing?????

Just so as i understand fully are you trying to install a fresh clean formatted hard drive into your new system or a hard drive that already has xp installed onto it ? the Ntldr file you refer to should install with xp if its installing properly which it seems it isnt

its possible that your new mobo has a fault if all your cables are in correctly and some chopping and changing of hardware may find out but could be a lengthy process of testing

are you using ide drives or sata ? if you could give some more info on your new mobo (make - model) cpu and other hardware im sure there is some way of sorting it out
N/A

NTLDR is missing?????

The reason you're having problems is very likely because you installed Windows XP on the old motherboard, and have transplanted the drive onto the PC with the new motherboard.

Have you tried booting to the recover console and using fixmbr/fixboot to rewrite the bootsector & MBR? That might fix the problem if it's caused by a change of "location" of the hard drive.

Otherwise, you might be due to reinstall XP on the new mobo.
Community Veteran

NTLDR is missing?????

The standard install of windows does not always include all the drivers to recognise all motherboard chipsets. This can result in bootup problems when you change the motherboard as you have seen - note: this has nothing to do with the MBR so running fixmbr will have no effect.

I had a problem booting after a mobo swap and managed to install some additional drivers which then worked. Unfortunately I can't remember the MS support article that explained what to do so I don't actually have a solution for you - I have looked but could not remember the error code I got which pointed me the the article. Note: the solution involved fitting the old mobo back so I could boot up and install the files.

If I do find the article I will post a link.

[append]

Here it is: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314082

It's not the same error but the solution may work for you. This requres you to boot using your old mobo to install the reg entries and additional drivers.
the_norris
Grafter

NTLDR is missing?????

Have you tried booting to the recover console and using fixmbr/fixboot to rewrite the bootsector & MBR? That might fix the problem if it's caused by a change of "location" of the hard drive.

Was going to suggest this but by the old hidden command with fdisk. But the above would be the best option for windows. Wish I know those commands when I had the problem 'missing NTLDR' - I fixed it via the Recovery Console by extracting a new one from the install CD. My problem was caused by a system crash.

Phil
N/A

NTLDR is missing?????

In the days off older windows systems I.e win95/98/ME/2k you could upgrade ur system easy and take it out off one machine and put it into a new one and it would boot.. since the introduction off win xp this isnt possible due to windows xp setting up to meet the needs off each motherboard so if you swap your mobo it will call windows not to load.. you would have to re-do a fresh install.. but be-warned it can cause problems if you conect up the hard drive to the original mobo dont ask me why its just the way windows picks up what its conected to
N/A

NTLDR is missing?????

Whilst it is a pain it is advisable to start a fresh install after any change. This removes problems /errors from any previous installation. No matter how careful and dilegent we are, it is afterall Microsoft software! It shouldn't take too long if you only installed the OS on the C drive and programmes on D, any data should be stored elsewhere, even My Documents.