ive got a windows xp installation which isnt booting
it comes up with an error called NTLDR is missing
anyone know what that is?
or do is it best to re-install
cheers
11 REPLIES
N/A

NTLDR is missing

check to see if there is a CD / floppy / USB pen attached tot he computer in any way.. if so remove them
N/A

NTLDR is missing

If you use an original XP Installation CD (One from MicroSoft, not a system restore CD from the PC manufacturer) you should be able to do a repair install which will preserve all existing information and may fix the problem.

If it doesn't, post again and we'll see about using the recovery console to fix everything with out data loss.
N/A

NTLDR is missing

there is no usb or such attached to the computer
i do have the winxp bootable cd
i can get into the recovery console

if i choose to install windows xp , i will then be given the option for repair right?
anyways ill try a few more things but any suggestions please drop in
Community Veteran

NTLDR is missing

The "Repair Install" is probably the best way to go and with any luck Windows will just replace any corrupt files and leaveeverything else intact,
This means that you shouldn't loose any data or have to re-install any of your programs.
N/A

NTLDR is missing

Boot into the recover consol and the type cd\ then type attrib you should see a list of files see if the file is there. XP normally gives this error when the disk is corupt the file is there but it cant read it. You can copy it from the cd in dos mode but you may have to expand it first.
The problem may be if you have an old XP cd without sp2 and your system has sp2 it may not be the right file. If this is the case see if you can get a sp2 file on a floppy off a friend with the same version of xp. You can try coping the old file as the system doesnt work anyway.
First in the recover consul try chkdsk c:/f as this may fix it if the file is there
Community Veteran

NTLDR is missing

If this is the case see if you can get a sp2 file on a floppy off a friend with the same version of xp.

You will need one hell of a big floppy. :? The last time I downloaded Service pack 2 it was over 75 megabytes Sad
N/A

NTLDR is missing

you could just copy the NTLDR file back into c:\windows\system32

do it via a boot cd (knoppix) or a floppy and enable network support
Community Veteran

NTLDR is missing

That error is usually an indication of more serious problems with the XP install so a reinstall is recommended to make sure any other corruptions / missing files are restored correctly.
N/A

NTLDR is missing

fair dooze -- shame he doesnt have an XP disk Sad
N/A

NTLDR is missing

its oryte
i decided re-install was the best option
so i went for that now the system is fine
thanx for your help anyways
N/A

NTLDR is missing

That error is usually an indication of more serious problems with the XP install so a reinstall is recommended to make sure any other corruptions / missing files are restored correctly.

Be fair - 99% of the time, that EM is due to a floppy disk in the drive :lol: