cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTFS write via Dos utility info required

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've got a corrupted game demo zip, thought it might have been renamed by mistake so renamed to exe and now can't rename or delete it. Getting a access violation error even though its with an admin user in win2k, even after a cold boot.

I have tried the wininternals viewer but anyone know of a trial utility that can Write/Delete to a NTFS partion in dos? As googling it only brings up 2 for windows which are both the samer utility that I have already tried and one for linux but I've not got linux.

Failing this going to have long afternoon converting the partion to fat32
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Not really sure what you are asking for.

If you are trying to access the file in dos then a cmd window should allow you to do that. If you still get an error renaming in dos then the filesystem will be corrupted.

run chkdsk on the drive and see what it finds - the default it to not correct any errors. If is does find errors use the /f option to fix errors on the drive - this may only happen after a reboot.

You could also try running scandisk.
N/A

Ive had that happen on me before too and got something stuck on my desktop.

First up, have you tried deleting it from safemode?

Alternatively you could try a linux boot cd using 2.6 kernel which supports an EXPERIMENTAL NTFS read/write module. (Bit dodgy as of yet though).
Community Veteran

@ peter NTFS cant normaly be read via a Dos boot disk, so needs a custom driver to make it mountable. All that are avaliable on trial are in Read only mode so no deletion is possible so I'm not buying a utility just for this one file.

@zeb yep tried that and still the same as the NT user persmissions come in to effect, so this needs removed via dos.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

I'm not talking about a dos boot disk I mean opening a dos window as I detailed. You can then run chkdsk in there as well.
N/A

Also try this method by Daniel Petri :

Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open.
Close all open programs.
You now need to close EXPLORER.EXE. The proper way to shutdown Explorer is to raise the "Shut Down Windows" dialog (select "Shut Down..." from the start menu), hold down CTRL+SHIFT+ALT and press the CANCEL button. Explorer will exit cleanly.
Note: The <CTRL+ALT+DEL> at the 'Shut Down Windows' dialog method of closing Explorer is built into Explorer. (It was specifically designed so that developers writing Shell Extensions could get Explorer to release their Shell Extension DLLs while debugging them).
Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory where the undeletable file is located in. At the command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.
Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.
Close Task Manager.
There is also a free download called Moveonboot
Alec
Community Veteran

Thanks aleca took the quick option and got that utility and cured the stubborn exe. Had this once before and lived with it for almost 8 months until a reinstall, so never again Smiley