cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NT and drivers

N/A

NT and drivers

It's going to be my 500th post, so I'd better make it a good'un.
Has anybody any advice about the known issue with NT and graphic card drivers.
It's an old STB velocity 4400 (riva TNT) card. I have the correct NT driver for it and NT recognises it as such, and offers to install it on start up.
However, if I accept this, or install it manually the PC always reverts back to the default driver when rebooting after installation. Of course it could be that the driver never really installed , but I don't know of anyway of confirming this. This means I'm stuck with sixteen colours, and no amount of fiddling with settings will alter this.
It might be easier if there was a device manager such as there is in 89, ME and XP, where all devices can be found, drivers updated, deleted, enabled or disabled. If there is such a thing I can't find it, nor is there an "add new hardware" option in the control panel.
I've read no end of articles on this problem, but yet to find a solution. Even Microsoft seem to skirt round the problem without really answering it.
Installing and updating NT was an interesting challange and I learnt a lot while doing it. Its stabillity and networking options are great, but I can't get any further until I can crack this problem.
Can anyone throw any crumbs of comfort my way ?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

NT and drivers

Hi Paul,

BT 4 is very hard to get drivers for or any new hardware to work. Due to its age not many people including Microsoft develop things like drivers for it or anything specific that will work. In some cases Ive found win2k drivers will sometimes work.

Personally I'd say if you can ditch it in favour of XP or Server 2003. How come you still need to run NT4?
N/A

Re: NT and drivers

I've read no end of articles on this problem, but yet to find a solution. Even Microsoft seem to skirt round the problem without really answering it.

Sorry but it has to be said there is nothing new here to be honest, and as fa55dsl said you probably would be better off upgrading to XP if you must use windows, or you might find you prefer win 2k if you like the more business type design to the home style system.
N/A

NT and drivers

How come you still need to run NT4?

Well because it's on an old Duron 750 machine that is available to everybody and my 2 teenage girls and their boyfriends and my teenage son and his mates.
I'm forever having to reinstall XP on it, about once a month in fact.
I'm fed up with this, and I've had the NT disc kicking about for ages. I use it at work and nothing seems to upset it, never crashed in 3 years.
So I'm guessing that it wont break so easily when the kids get their mits on it.
Such a machine doesn't warrant the expense of buying 2000, though it is worth thinking about if a copy comes my way fairly cheap.

I've tried a 2000 driver but this didn't help in this case, if all else fails I've got an old mobo with onboard graphics. Shouldn't be a problem with that hopefully.
Cheers
N/A

NT and drivers

Two solutions which may help

Install Xp and take a disk image using Acronis, Ghost or a free disk imaging software. Then when its broke it would only take 10 mins to replace.

Use a virtial pc. Install XP but dont let them use it let them use a virtual pc and if it break copy the image back and 10 mins later it back again
N/A

NT and drivers

Have you got all the NT Service Packs installed? IIRC, you need to have SP4 installed before you install the graphics card driver, or it won't work.
N/A

NT and drivers

Yes I have the sevice pack 6 installed.
This was supposed to allow for AGP use, but it never worked for me.
Anyway, have now swapped the mobo for one with on board graphics, Asrock sis741gx. The support disc did not contain NT drivers, no suprise really, but tracked some down got eventually. Just the USB to sort out now.
Thanks for the replies guys.
N/A

NT and drivers

Just the USB to sort out now.

Err what USB?
There doesn't seem to be any USB support.
The good old days, how did folk manage.
N/A

NT and drivers

see if the mobo has legacy drivers for usb. nt4 has no support for usb. check the bios.