cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIC Question

Firejack
Grafter

NIC Question

Is it possible to switch around the pins on a NIC card? I.e have 2 NIC's and a Straight Patch cable that can communicate.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

NIC Question

I am not aware of any NICs that can. Some routers/hubs/switches can auto-detect and internally switch transmit & receive pins when necessary so the type of cable used does not matter but I don't know if NICs can do the same.

Why do you ask - x-over cables are very cheap and available in many retail outlets and mail order.
Firejack
Grafter

NIC Question

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately as my network has evolved over the past 6 months I've relocated all my networking equipment except my ADSL Router to another room. I've gone so far as to hide the cables by drilling 2 walls and pull up several floor boards so its not like I can do that again easily. Its a case of reusing that I have.

Wonder if there are adapters to join 2 straight cables but swap over the wires? :roll:

**EDIT** Hmm if I'm going to do that. Its probably just as worthwhile to cut one RJ-45 plug off the existing cable in the wall and convert it to a cross over cable.
Community Veteran

NIC Question

I see your predicament :roll:

You can get RJ45 to RJ45 connectors to join 2 cables together (i'm not sure you can get one that is also a x-over). You then just need a short x-over cable at one end.

If you are rolling your own, you may need a tool to put an RJ45 connector on the end of a cable - and from experience it can take a few goes. Cheaper to buy a joiner & x-over.

Here you go...: straight & x-over joiners: RJ45 Couplers

and roll your own bits: RJ45 connectors and crimp tool
Firejack
Grafter

NIC Question

Ah excellent. Thanks for those links.

In the meantime I've created a very fancy crossover adapter. I'm using an old networking switch with an auto-detection uplink port. So I have my internet connection going into the uplink port and then I'm using a straight cable in another port to plug it into my NIC... it works! Cheesy
Community Veteran

NIC Question

As mentioned above just get a short crossover cable and a coupler.
Two crossovers one after the other finish up as a straight again.
(one case where two wrongs do make a right)
In fact I am using this very setup on one of my network connections and it works fine.
You also have the advantage that if at any time you did want to go PC to PC without a switch/router you can just remove the short extension and have a crossover again.
wadeford
Dabbler

NIC Question

You can get RJ45 to RJ45 connectors to join 2 cables together (i'm not sure you can get one that is also a x-over).

You can indeed get a RJ45 inline coupler that can be crossed - belkin sell one...
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=54&pcount=&Product_Id=106...

Moderators note (John) Link to belkin fixed for you.
michaelscott
Grafter

NIC Question

You could always by a crimping tool and a new plug. Cut off the crossed over end of the cable and put the wires in the correct order on the new plug.