cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NG DG834 help please..

N/A

NG DG834 help please..

I have had a BT voyager usb modem for some years,on reading the Forums about the upgrade to 8 mbps, I have bought a DG834..but that is where it ends !!.I set it up as per instructions etc........................nothing.after about 4 goes at this I phoned the help line.. India, nice guy a bit hard at times to understand him.......35 mins later we got it to work on the Netgear site fine, then he said type in your username and password for Plusnet,which I did......and again nothing !!!!! Sad he said I have typed it in wrong...ok...so I did it again making sure it WAS right........NO not having it at all just comes back to the setup page of Netgear,as it did before..................so back on went the voyager to ask you for some Help please..........................thanks
16 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

NG DG834 help please..

Welcome to the forums David

What username are you trying to type in ? it has to be "davidmw@plusdsl.net" all in lowercase and then your usual password
If its anything different to this you wont be able to connect

Bill.
N/A

NG DG834 help please..

Hi Bill.
Thanks for the reply, and yes that IS what I am typeing in ?? I really don't know what to do for the best ? If you or anyone reading has a DG 834 may understand this?? The power light & the link light both light up solid green, The local light ( in my case no3 the 1st time then no1 the 2nd time ,to see if the router was faulty) flashes very fast for a few seconds then solid for a few seconds, and does this all the time..............

Dave
holdtight
Grafter

NG DG834 help please..

Im not familiar with the netgear as ive always used linksys stuff but it sounds like the lan or wan light that is flashing
If so its searching for the network but cant find it, im assuming from your description that your using a cat5 cable to connect the router to your pc`s lan port have you made sure the port is enabled within the bios do you have a small pc icon in your system tray with a red cross through it

I may well be way off here as im not entirely sure which light you mean and maybe a user of the netgear would be better able to tell you what it is thats going on, there are many here so one will be along in a minute im sure
N/A

NG DG834 help please..

Try "davidmw@plus.net" (probably wont work but its worth a shot)

Some people are on different realms plusdsl and plus being the most common.

Also make sure these settings are correct and the same as below:

VPI = 0
VCI = 38
"PPPoA / VC-MUX" or "VC-MUX" depending on your options
Connection type: PPPoA (or same as above)
N/A

NG DG834 help please..

Bill,
Thanks, The cable comes with the modem/router,I did enable the lan port in the bios,I also downloaded the up to date driver for it from the MSI site,motherboard being MSI 925xe neo.The sysem tray..has 2 icons one has cross through it 1 is 10/100 lan jack (the one I am using,the other is Giga-bit lan I am not using ( I have tryed it on there) and does have a red X on it.
After a reboot once the desktop loads 5- 15 sec the cross goes and balloon says you are connected to the internet etc etc then I click explorer...nothing etc even in the netgear site you can test the settings that just returns you the settings page which means fail !!
Thanks for your help......................
N/A

NG DG834 help please..

Hi phearfactor,
Thanks for your reply.I have checked and all is as you said,and I have tryed "plus.net" sadly as before nothing.
many thanks Dave
avalon
Grafter

NG DG834 help please..

Did you try typing an IP address into your browser to see if the problem is with the DNS server setup? Try typing http://212.159.8.137/ into the address bar of your browser when the router is connected.

If it works it's your DNS settings that are the problem. I had a similar problem with XP it refused to pick up the DNS settings via the router. When I hard coded them into the connection settings in XP it worked fine. It might not be the problem in your case, but it's worth trying.
Community Veteran

NG DG834 help please..

First what firmware version are you running with? The latest is 3.01.25 which is what I am sing in mine and it's very stable.

What does the log say. Post the section when it tries to connect. If it says CHAP authentcation failed then the login/pas were not recognised.

Second, start from a known point which is the factory default settings. Use a paperclip to hold in the reset switch at the back for 20 seconds. This should cause the router to reset to factory settings. Then go through the setup wizzard again and enter the login details as shown under connection settings -> connection details (the first login shown). This will tell you if you need to use username@plus.net or username@plusdsl.net or one of the other logins that PlusNet can use.

Your first light on the router is power, the second (tick) is the reset/power up and flashes orange when starting up then goes out when the router software is running. The 3rd light is your sync with the exchange which flashes when trying to sync and goes solid when in sync. The lights for Nos 1 -> 4 are your Ethernet connection. These will flash when data is being transmitted/received and will stay solid when no data exists on the line.

The wizzard should have set the following:

Basic settings page:

Require login: Y
Encapsulation: PPPoA
Login/pass as you have been using
IP Address: Get dynamically
DNS: Get autmatically
NAT: Enable

ADSL settings page:

Multiplex method: VCMUX
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
N/A

NG DG834 help please..

Many thanks to All you guys.......THIS connection is with the DG 834....at last :lol: I unpluged it all last night and left it !! This morning armed with your info ,the instructions and my refreshed brain cell,we started from the begening reset the 834 first checked Lan on pc bios, cable , etc and put it all back together and thanks to you all it works. ( I must have been doing something wrong yesturday ) can't wait for the 8mbps upgrade know !!
However !! there is a PS .... If I am not on the internet say I'm playing spider ! is my computer useing up my quoter of mbs ?? do I have to do something to stop this or what Huh?

again many thanks to you All
Dave
holdtight
Grafter

NG DG834 help please..

Glad you got it sorted David there are many knowledgable folk here who are always willing to help

As to your ps your router will stay connected all the time its powered up but what it uses in bandwidth while sitting idle is negligable so no worries its ok to leave it

Its personal preference whether or not you turn it off or not i leave mine on 24/7 unless it needs a reboot for any reason and as long as you have the relevent security in place ie firewall and up to date anti virus its safe to do so

Bill.
N/A

NG DG834 help please..

Again many thanks Bill,and to you all.
Dave
Community Veteran

NG DG834 help please..

There are a few settings you now need to check and correct:

Under Basic Settings:

Make sure idle timeout is set to 0. This stops the router disconnecting when not in use. Leaving this set to the default of 5 (mins) can sometimes cause the router to not reconnect.

Under Schedule:

Timezone should be set to GMT (Greenwich mean time)
Tick Adjust for daylight savings time (note: you will need to manually set/reset this each time the clocks change - tick for BST, untick for GMT)

Both of ther above are so the logs show the correct date/time

Under WAN setup:

Tick connect automatically when required to ensure the router always reconnects whjen the line drops

Experiment with the MTU size. I use 1478 (which I has also set on my PC). Adjusting this value can improve your throughput speeds - just do a search for MTU for info on how to change this as well as the RWIN value in windows.
N/A

NG DG834 help please..

Hi petervaughan.
Thanks for the info The MTU was set at 1458 so I have reset it to the same as yours, to see how that goes. I am now going to do the search and change it in windows.... I have always been very keen to get the best out of the PC ,and have spent many hours online just to find out what is the best for any piece of hardware that I may have brought,or if I have upgraded the inside of the PC,which I have done now for very many years.
The software side of modems etc is always open for debate so its good to hear from someone who has done it.............................thanks again
Dave
holdtight
Grafter

NG DG834 help please..

I also use an mtu of 1478 as ive found it the best for my connection i also find an rwin setting of 17256 works for me

The easiest way for you to change these settings within windows David is to download and run DRTCP and along with the settings suggested use a value of 2 for max dup acks and 64 or 128 for time to live the others can be left at there default settings

Bill.