cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My networking plans.... is this all right?

Community Veteran

Well, despite being a moderator of these very boards, my networking knowledge is still, erm, poor. Shockedops: (Well.... I've never ever had reason to adminster one!) A poor knowledge of networks isn't particularly useful seeing as I want to create one at home, albeit small. So, if someone can just confirm that what I'm going to do will give me better results than just a headache I'd appreciate it... Wink

Here's the scenario: I have a computer. Shocked I also have a PDA. :shock: And I want to connect them both :idea: so that I can access the computer from my PDA and vice-versa. However, I'd also like to bring into this a broadband router (with just the one ethernet port). I'd also like to have access to this from both my computer and my PDA. The final thing to add is that I wish to connect the computer by cable, and the PDA by WiFi.

Now, as I say, I already have the ADSL router, and I also already have a PCI ethernet card in my computer, which is what I've been using to connect to the router. So, am I correct in thinking that all I need to get is a gateway/router/WAP such as this or this, to which I will connect my broadband router and desktop via ethernet, and a WiFi CF card (which I can sort out myself) for my PDA?

Thanks to anyone who decides they'd like to help me! Cool

Thomas
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The first one has a built in ADSL modem, so you could use this instead of your current router, this would probably be easier for you ands it also has some extra ethernet ports making it more scalable and less messy.

I'd check the specification of your PDA and what it will allow you to do and what extra software it needs if any.

Also noticed your post borders on excessive smilies, but decided not to cull them :p

Chris
Community Veteran

Oi, no it's not... excessive smileys is more than three next to each other... Tongue

Anyway, are you sure the Belkin one has a modem built in? AFAIK, it's just got a port for my router to connect to... :?

Thomas
Community Veteran

The product blurb suggests it does, although it doesn't mention it supports PPPoA. I'd contact thier support peeps and ask them.

Chris
Community Veteran

I'm pretty sure it doesn't... I tried the Belkin wizard, and it told me I'd need to plug my router into it.

Thomas
N/A

if that's the case you would probably be better off financially getting a wireless access point, although I agree that the all in one solution is tidier but it doesn't give you the option for an additional firewall between the router and your network if you feel insecure.

It could just be my paranoia working here :-} but I don't like connecting a network to the back of the cheap routers most of us buy here. The built in firewall solutions often suck and are (fairly) easy to crack. A decent firewall usually costs about £2K and often needs quite a lot of skill to set up. What can we expect for £70?

Anyway to return to the subject. Wireless is fine as long as you don't want to shift large volumes of data over the network, even 802.11g is only a shared 54Mbit system which means a couple of Gig is going to take a LOT of time. Obviously there are also security issues but for a home user who cares?

I also agree with fa55dsl that a device with more than one RJ45 port is a better idea giving you future expandability on your network.

He isn't it great I've managed to waffle for 4 paragraphs and said almost b####r all! Shocked
N/A

Umm, I'd like to start playing wireless too. I have a Psion Series 7 and a laptop which'd be nice outside this weather. Mind you, the Series 7 will last for days on a charge while the laptop barely an hour, and the laptop's more useful.

What type of PDA do you have? Does it have a PCMCIA slot?

I like to fiddle around with computers and networks. I'd actually say that if you're a real masochist you CAN build an effective firewall using FREE software and that old 486 currently propping the door open. You COULD also use it as the wireless Access Point. Your own suggestions are probably MUCH easier, though.

Some of the cheap routers these days do have reasonable firewalls in my opinion. Cheesy

He isn't it great I've managed to waffle for 4 paragraphs and said almost b####r all!

Me too.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

I don't do PDAs, I can't afford one on the wages they pay me as a college sysadmin. Sad

The only thing is I get to evaluate and test various routers an other kit before installing them on our networks. Cheesy

I have experience with 70 - 100 quid routers from Belkin, Netgear and some wierd unbranded thing with a Conexant chipset, and with all of them my Smoothwall GPL firewall - a free bit of software running on an old cirix P200 (ish) IDS system, still reports intrusion attempts to gain root permissions on it.

Smoothwall is also good in that it's quite easy to set up and it can, with three network cards installed, have a genuine DMZ which in general is where your wireless LAN connections ought to be for proper security, with a VPN connection through the firewall to the main LAN.

I run Zone Alarm on my main network PC just to see how good my blocking setup actually is, and with my current configuration of a cheap firewalled router and the smoothwall box I get not a squeak. So I do have to admit that it IS possible to get security on the cheap.

Smoothwall was VERY easy to set up too! and all for 30MB!!

Looks like I'm wibbling away off topic again so I'll shut up now.

Bye

Tim
Community Veteran

Thank you for your advice you two, but you're a little late... I went and bought my equipment a week ago! Cheesy And it all works lovely. Cool

Thomas
N/A

Please tell us about the PDA.

These are MUCH nicer if they're wireless - kinda like they were intended to be.

Mine (currently) connects via a (short) serial cable which also bottlenecks my 512k connection.
Community Veteran

If you insist. Wink

It's a new HP iPaq 2210 (well, new as in it's only been out for a few weeks). It runs Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Premium For Pocket PC (just Pocket PC to you and me!) I thought it'd be nice to surf the net from anywhere in my home using it, so I got myself a Linksys WiFi CF Card to use in it... after a bit of a problem with the drivers, it works fine. And it was sure nice yesterday to be able to browse the web but not have to sit next to my hot computer while doing it!

Thomas
N/A

Thanks. I saw the Compaq IpaQ ages ago and was filled with lust. Nice screen etc. and VERY sexy. With wireless Internet connection it sounds like a dream. Umm, I could even use it to control my MP3 jukebox while I'm cooking dinner.

Did you say you now hated it? Forget eBay. Cheesy
Community Veteran

Lol... I don't hate it, but I do think I prefer Palm OS devices, which I had been using for 2.5 years before trying out my first PPC.

Thomas