cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My dear old tosh laptop

the_groundsman
Grafter

My dear old tosh laptop

I have an old toshiba 8100 laptop. I dont use it much but it has it's uses.

I switched it on and it started to boot up but then froze during windows start up. its running XP.

It hung and windows never loaded. I switched it off and now when I switch on. Nothing. Not even the toshiba screen inviting me to enter the bios. I tried an external monitor but nothing.

It beeps alot when I switch it off.

Burial or cremation?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

My dear old tosh laptop

if it's got a bootable cd drive, try a linux (puppy linux is good for old laptops) and see if it'll come up.
otherwise freecycle it Smiley
the_groundsman
Grafter

Puppy

That was the thing I did last, have a play with Puppy linux, infact it was still in the CD drive.

RIP

Was toying with trying a linix OS on it like ubuntu but it only has 128 of RAM

I must stop being sentimental about it!
Community Veteran

My dear old tosh laptop

puppy will run in 64 (i even got in running with a swap ptn and 32) but the ?buntus are rather bloated ... as far as tosh goes, why not have it stuffed and put it by the fireplace?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

My dear old tosh laptop

Sounds like your motherboard might of given up the ghost.

One of my relatives had this happen a while back on a desktop PC. It was running fine doing a virus scan and 1/2 way through said it couldn't access drive c:. System failure was imminent and upon investigating it's innards the motherboards capacitors had started leaking.

I'm not sure what the deal is with laptop motherboards but I would assume it's a similar thing.

Once the mobo is dead, you need a new one. As you have said it's beeping it could be another issue though. You need to find out what the beeps mean. Each motherboard manufacturer includes the beeping sequences to mean a different fault. There are different beep patterns for different things.

If all else fails, type the laptop serial number into ebay and try to find one for spares/repair. Rip it for parts and try to get your machine running again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!