cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

Rourkefamily
Grafter

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

I am sure it was never this slow when I first got it (about three years ago new), but it is now painfully slow. Sad
System is an 800MB Pentium III. Hard disk is 9.5GB and two thirds full. System Restore, Read ahead Optimization and Graphics hardware accelerator is full (Don't know if that is bad news and how do I reduce?). Operating system is Me.

I have had loads of problems with Viruses and Spy Ware (See thread on Repeat Virus infection on Internet security) but that appears to be sorted now.

Tried to a defrag, left it running overnight and the best I get is 4% :shock:

Is there anything I can do to speed things up a bit?
14 REPLIES
N/A

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

do adware scans and spyware scans if not back up and reformat dat shud do the work for temporary, for a long term solutioon you may need a upgrade
Rourkefamily
Grafter

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

Run Adaware this morning. Found three undesirables and all deleted!

Found that my Zone Alarm is doing a reasonable job of blocking these out.

I have an upgrade sitting next to my PIII Cheesy , but I think I should be able to keep this going at a faster speed but don't know what else to try :?:
N/A

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

you can try msconfig from the run box, duno if that works in ME, and try reducing your start up programs, zone alarm tends to slow some pcs down too.
Community Veteran

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

To defrag properly, boot into safe mode (press F8 during bootup just after the beep) and run it from there.

How much memory do you have? Adding more memory can often speed things up.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

Looks like I have alot of programs running in the background.

Tried a defrag from Safe Mode and that came up with disk errors and to scan disk. Scan disk did not complete and suggested I should close down some of the programs I had running. The only windows I had opened were 'My Computer' and Scan Disk. So is there too much running in the background :?:

So the next question is how do I not have so much running in the background and also how to change what runs on Start up and if so how do I do that?

Jim
Community Veteran

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

If your PC has got into this state then by far the best thing you can do is to save all the data you need to keep and then bite the bullet and format C:
Then do a clean reinstall of windows.
After that it will be just as it was when you first got it.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

After restarting Scan disk a number of times, it finally completed and completed a defrag last night.

Seems to be quicker now. MS products opening up alot quicker.

I still think I have too much starting up at Boot up time, ie Real Player, Winzip, In CD(?). I am sure I don't need all these to have started up. How can I change what starts at Boot up?
holdtight
Grafter

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

format C:

Agreed ! this is exactly as i do with any pc thats got to this state, you will be surprised at the difference it will make to the speed of your system and it doesnt take long to do
N/A

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

I tend to disable everything that is not essential (whatever that means). I would load real player and incd when needed and run winzip on demand using rt clk. InCD allows you to use a CDRW or DVDRW as a slow hard disk - I personally do not use this type of access as it can (has in the past) caused problems with trying to write a CD by "normal" methods.

Programs tend to run from one of three locations at startup:

start menu > programs > startup
<just delete the entries you don't want>

c:\windows\wini.ini file (assuming windows me default folder)
<edit and delete what you don't want from the load=/run= lines
copy the file first in case you want to go back>

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
<rt clk an entry and select modify, I usually add a rem to the start of the
line to test first, then delete the entry. you may need to be brave, though>
N/A

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

I forgot to say

run regedit from the start menu run option for the hkey entry!
Rourkefamily
Grafter

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

Alot of the problems seem to be around this PC crashings.

When I run 'Scandisk' leave it running overnight and it is still not complete. Have to do this for two to three nights? Does crashing cause this many problems?
holdtight
Grafter

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

Yes and it could be many things hardware or software related and IMHO windows me is at best rubbish and i wouldnt use it ever, i would rather revert to 98 and have a more stable system

i would still go for the format and reinstall option as advised remembering to back up everything you want to keep
if your system is not too old and up to the job go for an upgrade to xp
N/A

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

Windows ME has a badly flawed defrag program that frequently restarts. As Peter has mentioned defragging is best done within safe mode. If you can't even run scandisk google for Power Defrag 3.01 (or higher). This will run before windows fully loads.

Windows ME can only handle 512Mb of memory, try upgrading if you have less.

You could also create a seperate partition for your pagefile.

To stop (some) background programs running go to Start/Run and type msconfig then in the Startup window untick any undesired programs.

format C:

This is the sledgehammer to crack a nut syndrome.
I would boot into DOS rename windows folder as winold and progra~1 (program files) as progold, then re-install windows from CD.

If are going to re-install windows why not buy a larger hard disk and upgrade to Windows XP. It is much more stable and defrag/scandisk work properly. If you don't want to use XP all the time you can dual boot into ME and XP and enjoy both OS's.
Community Veteran

My PC is sooooo slowwwww

I recommend upgrading to Windows XP, and adding some extra memory.

The system that I am using now is a celeron 667MHz 318Mb Memory, which runs Windows XP at an acceptable speed. I even use video editing software runs on this, if a little slow to render.

Chilly
(As I type this I am using Puppy Linux http://www.goosee.com/puppy )