cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Next Linux Distro

jabb0
Grafter

My Next Linux Distro

So i have went with Ubuntu first time round, although for the best part things have went well

So i am thinkin of trying another one.
But a few question spring to mind, and i hope you can maybe help out :

1) Currently i am using Ubuntu, what would other disto's give me that this one soes not?

2) I have Ubuntu installed as the only current OS on an unpartioned hard disk - would i be able dual boot?
4 REPLIES
N/A

My Next Linux Distro

What do you want to do with your computer? Where do you consider Ubuntu deficient?

Dual booting shouldn't be a problem, although I've never tried it myself.

--> Stephen
N/A

My Next Linux Distro

1) Every distributions has its good sides. Here is a recent article comparing the main one : http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=414291

I don't like the way Ubuntu is installed, especially the absence of normal root account. And I prefer KDE to GNOME (Fedora by default). And I prefer YAST to Drakconf (Mandriva). And I prefer rpm to Debian. Which means that for me it would be SuSE the favorite. But every one can find other good reasons to select one of the 400 distributions available.

2) Usually you install Linux after Windows if you want to do dual boot between these 2. You shrink the Windows partition and creae a second one for Linux. But you can still resize your partition in order to free some place on your disk, and install another Linux or Solaris distribution.
jabb0
Grafter

My Next Linux Distro

Ok after reading all that i think i might just stay with Ububtu for while.

Cheers
N/A

My Next Linux Distro

You can easily dual boot linux and other OS, I've dual booted my laptop with Fedora, Slackware, Ubuntu and now OpenBSD alongside XP. The only reason I have XP is I need it for work, otherwise I'd dual boot linux & BSD.

In response to alize, in my experience you really need to install windows first whatever you want to dual boot with as it insists on overwriting the MBR. There are of course ways around this problem, but I thnk they're quite a bit of hassle, although GAG is rather good and I use it on my laptop these days.

All in all though, if you're fairly new to linux, I think Ubuntu is a good choice. Personally I really like Slackware, and this is a very good distro. almost everything must be done manually however, but you really will learn how a linux system works. It's also very stable.

Just my tuppence worth

Cheers,

Steve