cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Hard drive predicament

N/A

Cry My PC has always played up recently Cry

I would like to reformat my 2nd 30Gb hard drive. Currently I have a dualboot of ME and XP pro but i never use ME anymore. I would like to reformat the ME hard drive.

I have tried to use the format tab, but that fails

I have: tried to format from xp into ntfs, fat32, i have tried quick format, nothing works. I have run scandisk, defrag, virus checker, tried to reformat from the device manager.

I have tried to reformat from ME that all fails.

Can somebody tell me a command line interface and a guide to reformatting this hard drive.

My setup is 30gb - ME
60gb - XP pro

I want to completely wipe the drive so i no longer have ME and so that it can be used for backup and extra storage.

Somebody suggested using my winxp cd but that just tries to reinstall xp and i dont want to install it on top of my existing xp, and im so confused ill end up mucking up the wrong drive. Sad

Please help
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

To be absolutely sure you are working on the right drive open up the case, remove the other drive cable and set the one you want to work on as a master.

Before you do this use ME and make a bootable floppy then copy format.com onto it.

Boot with the floppy and format from there just typing format c:
N/A

Rather than change the cable setup, which is not a bad idea, you could try your XP cd again.
Boot from it and go to the repair console, i think you should be able to select the right drive there and use the format command to wipe it. I'd use ntfs as the file system.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I would advise a bit of care with this; is it the ME or the XP that was installed first, if an educated guess is that the ME was first then if you re-format the disk that has ME presumably C drive then the PC won't boot as BIOS searches for the C drive first, if it finds it and it's blank, you may not be able to boot into XP either if it is on a seperate drive.

Your answer may be that you will have re-install your XP again on C drive, or at the very least re-arrange your drives (master slave etc) so the drive with XP becomes the primary, even so you may not be able to boot into XP as it is.

It all sounds simple enough just to get rid of the dual boot and return to a single but it may well turn out to be rather more problematical than it appears.

You may find it better to strip down the ME to it's minimum level and keep it, especially if you've got any older softwear around that won't run under XP, some would give their mother-in-laws away to be able to do what you can currently do, and thinking of stopping!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

it was the right guess that ME was installed first.

I have decided to reformat both drives and install the xp pro on the C: drive

Thanks for the help, i guess i will just need to break out that box of cdrs somewhere.................now where did i leave them
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Point taken Kuglin, I'll voluntarily remove it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Good... because that little reminder has no place in this thread (the original poster doesn't need a copy of XP Home). If I was feeling a bit grumpy I could consider it as spam. :twisted:

Thomas
N/A

Wot happened here when i was away

!!!!

OMG i missed somthing

Any real help out there??

Thanks to those who helped anyway

JC