cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple SideBySide Errors in System Event Log

Community Veteran

I wonder if anyone can help with the following problem.

I’ve recently spotted that I’m getting loads of SideBySide errors in my system event log (Windows XP Home Edition). They occur in 4 blocks of 3 errors (12 errors in total) every time I start my PC. The 3 errors in each block are as follows:

Source: SideBySide
Event Id: 59
Description: Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_dec6ddd2\MFC80.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Event Id: 59
Description: Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event Id: 32
Description: Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

I’ve tried Googling for an answer but quickly get lost in the technical detail of the answers. I don’t know if it’s relevant but I’ve recently installed IE7 and Windows Live Messenger.

Thanks - Bob
2 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

It looks like you have a virus/adware program:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-070514-5200-99

I don't do windows, but would guess that since installing IE7 the SideBySide virus can't hook into the search requests in Explorer and is now erroring.

Hopefully someone who can find their way around the complexities of making Windows work can suggest a fix. I'd suggest using FireFox (on linux).

Paul.<><
Community Veteran

Hi Paul and thanks for the reply.

I don't think it is a virus as my Norton virus scanner isn't picking anything up.

Since posting I've done a bit more digging and I think I've found the source of the problem. I forgot to mention that I've also recently installed a Logitech webcam. I found a thread on the Logitech discussion forums which attributes this problem to a new version of the webcam software. If anyone else is interested the thread is at http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=quickcam_software&message.id=7744

Bob