cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozy - Offsite Backup

RobDickson
Grafter

Mozy - Offsite Backup

I've just started using an excellent piece of software called Mozy (https://mozy.com), which automatically backs up files from your hard disk, to a remote server. I know that back-ups are possible using external hard drives, a second internal hard drive, or a LAN, but the beauty of this bit of software is:

1) The back-ups are out of your house, so if your house burns down, then all your data are still safe.

2) It's automatic.

3) 2GB of back-up space comes free, more space can be bought at a reasonable price.

4) All your data are encrypted before being sent to the server.

If you sign up, and quote my referral code (2PY3KB), then we both get an additional 256MB storage space.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Mozy - Offsite Backup

This is only practical for small amounts of data as you are limited by your upstream speed. Doing a full backup from my system for example would require over 40GB of data to be transferred and it would take ages.

Finally, advertising on the forums is against the rules.
RobDickson
Grafter

Mozy - Offsite Backup

It works well for the important data that I have on my PC, although the first back-up did, of course, take ages. I just left it running overnight, and while I was at work, and it did the job. Now each back-up hardly takes any time at all, because it only backs up new files and those that have changed.

I'm sorry if I broke the rules by my post. The reason for my post was to point out some software that might be useful for some people, the fact that I get an extra 0.25GB free by introducing people is an added bonus, not my reason for mentioning it.

I'll see if I can edit my post to remove the link.
Community Veteran

Mozy - Offsite Backup

Well I will thank you for your post, as I am currently looking at on-line storage.

I think Peter has missed the point; this form of backup solution is not to provide a full system backup. But to provide a safe off site storage of important documents and pictures.

We all have digital cameras, and the risk of losing all your pictures due to a hard disk failure are high.

Yes the first backup will take an extended time to complete and take a fair chunk of your bandwidth allowance. But providing you then only use incremental backups, traffic levels should be more reasonable.

I did not see your post as an advert but a referral, and a principle that PlusNet has grown its business by. And your post was honest in that you would be rewarded for anyone that signed up.

Now my turn to be honest, I have not signed up as I am looking for a service that I can integrates into my current Linux based backup solution. So sorry no extra 256M from me.

Chilly
RobDickson
Grafter

Mozy - Offsite Backup

I didn't see my post as advertising, but as an infrequent visitor to the forums, I didn't really see it as my place to argue. Maybe it would be OK to include the link again, after all, people signing up from my referral get additional free space, as well as me.

https://mozy.com/?ref=2PY3KB

I see that Mozy will be offering a Mac version soon, but doesn't mention anything about a Linux version. You can always ask to see whether it's likely, or not.

When considering the amount of storage space needed, it's worth remembering that the operating system, and the programs, will account for a lot of used space on your hard disk.

I appreciate your comment about taking up a large slice of a bandwidth alllowance, but by starting the process at midnight, and then leaving the PC running all day, it can be done at times when the bandwidth allowance doesn't matter. It's possible to pause the back-up, and then restart it again at midnight.
N/A

Mozy - Offsite Backup

I'm using Mozy on a mac and it's working fine. A little more storage would be useful and obviously that's what they're hoping people will realise. I've not been tempted to pay for it yet but I'm not far off. I don't see it being usefull for whole drive backups but it's ideal for keeping a copy of a photo library.

It seems like an area where plusnet could offer a new service, an extra pound or two per month and the transfers not counting towords your usage allocation...
RobDickson
Grafter

Mozy - Offsite Backup

If anybody fancies increasing my allowed space, feel free to click on the link above!

I agree, it's not suitable for backing up a whole drive, but it's a useful daily backup of files that I change regularly.