cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird......any experience?

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes, Jason, I think that images are slower at loading and I can't think why!

I like the Tabs feature.....

Like you I'm on 2mps.

Regards

Noel
21 REPLIES
fotobits
Rising Star

I have no grumbles with regard to I-E6, however, I have just installed Firefox for a trial.

So far I find Firefox very user-friendly and with some immediate advantages, eg you can quite easily print web pages without any cut-off on the right-hand side and the Firefox window can be customised to maximise space for the downloaded web-page.

I have not tried Thunderbird, the associated e-mail client yet and would like to hear from others of their experiences and comments regarding these increasingly popular programs.

Regards....
N/A

Hi,

Both are very good. I use firefox as my main browser, only resorting to use IE for microsoft updates.

Thunderbird is good as well.
mineview
Dabbler

I've been using both firefox and thunderbird for over a year. I would not return to ie for all the tea in china. Firefox is faster, has a smaller footprint and appears to be more secure, although the security may be down to it not being on the hackers radar yet. Thunderbird is simple to set up and use, even when operating multiple email accounts as I do. :lol:
holdtight
Grafter

I have to agree also firefox is by far the better browser, ive even installed
it on two of my linux systems as well

but annoyingly i still have to return to IE from time to time under XP
as does everyone else who uses firefox
N/A

but annoyingly i still have to return to IE from time to time under XP
as does everyone else who uses firefox

Yep, sadly some sites don't work well under firefox. My on-line banking works better in IE, and obviously microsoft doesn't work as well in firefox. However the list is growing, and it's nice to see another browser taking a better share of the market rather the MS dominating everything to do with PCs.
N/A

fotobits
Rising Star

Very many thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, I do appreciate it.

I installed Thunderbird this morning, but I don't like it as much as Outlook Express. Outlook Express offers more facilities in filters, message writing, signatures and folder management.

However, so far I like Firefox. In my case it downloads cleanly two or three sites with which I have been increasingly having problems using I-E6......evidenced with the error message...."Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience......please tell Microsoft about this problem."

Informing Microsoft generates an auto-message that they do not know what the problem is, but then recommend the use of a firewall......I use two already and two anti-virus programs!

When I downloaded the offending sites with Firefox, it reported that a required plug-in was missing, indicated how to obtain it.....and bingo, worked first time!

Thanks again people......
Rich
Grafter

It's probably worth looking at the extensions for Thunderbird on the Mozilla site - I have been using Firefox & Thunderbird for some time now - Firefox doesn't crash Win98 and Thunderbird does not suffer from the slow-down that Outlook Express does once a few thousand emails have been downloaded.
N/A

Hello

I've got to agree with all the previous comments re Firefox. I was using Mozilla before hand, and have been a Firefox user since V0.7ish Cheesy. I too find cetain pages are better in IE, as mentioned previously, Internet Banking is one. Try this page for a "View this page in IE" extension for Firefox. Once installed, if you're having trouble with a web page, just right click and select this option. IE opens with the web page. Just saves messing about constantly copying addresses etc.

http://ieview.mozdev.org/ Is the web page telling you about it,
http://downloads.mozdev.org/ieview/ieview.xpi Is the direct extension download
vic_newey
Grafter

Hi,

Both are very good. I use firefox as my main browser, only resorting to use IE for microsoft updates.

You dont need IE for the updates ,the update page gives you the option ' if you prefer to use a different browser updates can be downloaded from the Microsoft download centre '
vic_newey
Grafter

Yet another good thing with firefox is in Tools/ options / privacy/ cookies/ & click exceptions

In here you can cut & paste all your log in urls for various forums inc .+net etc & then select -Keep cookies until I close firefox . then all the cookies from your current browsing, & this may include undesirables such as spyware, will be deleted in an instant but your log-ins will still be saved .
Since I enabled this I found spybot & Addaware etc. rarely find anything
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks for the cookie tip, Vic. I'd missed that feature. You're right, a good option.
Regards
Midville
Grafter

i have been using it for the last month; Smiley so far. Pictures within pages seem to load at a slower speed than i.e, other than that it seem good.
N/A

One of the main reasons I like Thunderbird is that it allows you to apply Message Rules to IMAP folders, which OE won't do. Apparently the spam filter is pretty good as well, but I dont use that.