Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard Help

N/A

Motherboard Help

Hi,

I've been a first class muppet! :lol:

Basically, I've just ordered myself an AMD XP2400 processor for my motherboard. The only problem is, when I was checking on my motherboard manufacturers site, I must have clicked on the wrong link as I've just checked again and my motherboard only has BIOS updates to take an XP2000. Shockedops:

Could I still plug in the XP2400 when it arrives or will my whole system just start singing the theme of the Muppets to me!!!!!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Fozzy Bear!!!! lol!!!
11 REPLIES
N/A

Motherboard Help

Be prepared for a irritating noise, though ti could be worse, the fraggle song.

Down to fraggle rock, grab a fraggle by its c... you get the picture.

You didn't say what makemodel and revision your currenet motherboard is.
N/A

Motherboard Help

I think you'll be OK. Obviously, you'll only get the 2000's worth of performance out of it.

I've run 100Mhz memory on a 66Mhz mobo before, seemed OK.
N/A

Motherboard Help

Cheers for the swift replies!

Sorry, my Motherboard is an EliteGroup K7AMA V1.5 running AMI BIOS release 04/12/01. Where I went wrong was I "thought" I had Award BIOS, that does actually go to XP2400 and beyond. The AMI BIOS I have is only listed to XP2000. DOH!

I could always just plug and prey!!! lol!

Cheers,

Tim.
shellsong
Grafter

I've never had any problems underclocking processors, I've done it a few times in the past without any bad results, so I should think you'll be fine Smiley.
N/A

Re: ...

I've never had any problems underclocking processors, I've done it a few times in the past without any bad results, so I should think you'll be fine Smiley.

Overclocking isn't the issue here.

It is that the motherboard will be underclocked (IE, motherboard can't go fast enough for chip).

The good point is you are in luck. Your bios does go upto 2400+ and 2600+, though, just not your current one.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/k7ama.htm
shellsong
Grafter

Whoever said overclocking was the issue? Wink
N/A

Motherboard Help

Not me guv. It seems pretty clear to me that the original issue was running a high speed cpu on a lower-speed mobo.

That is all.
N/A

Motherboard Help

I take that back - I have had to reboot my system, as the graphics have been slowly degrading all day, with random pixelation.

However, it doesn't account whyu it took me 20 odd attempts to see you said underclocking Tongue
N/A

Motherboard Help

Cheers for all your replies.

I don't feel such a Muppet after all :lol:

I'll get downloading the latest drivers I can find, (plus backups of my current BIOS!) and give the new processor a try when it arrives.

I'll let you know what happens. Bet you can't wait!!!!

Thanks again.

Tim. aka Fozzy Bear!!!! :lol:
shellsong
Grafter

Motherboard Help

Good luck Smiley
N/A

Motherboard Help

Thought.... since most motherboards these days auto configure for the installed processor if the BIOS doesn't support your shiney new processor you may just get a big fat dud... I know, I've had a similar experience. Fortunately I was able to download a BIOS upgrade that did support it. (In my case, the CPU/Heatsink wouldn't fit the newer motherboard I had purchased, but would fit my older motherboard, though of course to add to the spice, the BIOS on my older motherboard didn't support the CPU!)

The alternative, allegedly, if the BIOS upgrade hadn't worked was to MANUALLY underclock the processor. i.e. Don't let the BIOS guess at the right configuration. Hopefully you don't need to go there!