Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard Advice.

edde
Dabbler

Motherboard Advice.

Hi all,

I've been given an AMD Duron 850MHz processor recently, so thought I might try and upgrade an old P166MMX PC that I have gathering dust.

I want to keep costs to a minimum so it looks like a new Motherboard with onboard sound & graphics is the way to go (i.e. re-use the SDRAM, HDD etc).

Has anyone got any advice re. a cheap/reliable motherboard please?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Motherboard Advice.

I can't offer any recommendations, apart from the fact that "cheap" and "reliable" are unfortunately normally antagonistic when talking about motherboards. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Motherboard Advice.

Check out ebay, you should be able to get a decent motherboard for around £40. Prior to bidding do a search on google under groups and read the threads. This should give you a good idea as to whether the motherboard in question has a history of compatibility problems or known faults.

Even the good manufacturers have made some duff boards

Darren.
edde
Dabbler

Motherboard Advice.

£40 was the price that I had in mind, I've done a bit of digging around on Ebuyer and found the following potentials:-

MSI MS-6378 Micro ATX Skt A Athlon/Duron/upto a XP 2.2+ CPU 32/Video/Sound

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=2...

PC Chips 810LMR V7.X 266FSB MATX Socket A Video Sound Lan Motherboard

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=2...

Pcchips MB-825lMU SKT A KM266 DDR/SDR/ Integrated Savage 4/Sound/ LAN & USB 2.0 Motherboard

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=4...

Asus A7N266-VM-SE Skt A MATX Sound Lan

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48103

I had only previously heard of Asus cos thats whats in my main machine, but from reading the reviews I get the impression that PC Chips are a bit of a mixed bag and you take your chances and I don't know much about MSI?
Community Veteran

Motherboard Advice.

You might want to try Aria www.aria.co.uk, I've found them to be pretty cheap and have a decent range of stuff, so they might have what you are looking for and they don't have Ebuyer's track record lol

Chris
N/A

Motherboard Advice.

There is a letter this the new edition of PC Plus regarding EBuyer.

I havn't got a copy of the mag with me (only landed on my desk today, thanks mr postman).

The jist was, some1 bought a powerpack (500watts off memory), 1 case with built in powerpack (smaller), Mobo, GFX, CDRW and memory.

A few days into use, the thing wouldn't start.

He tooks them to work (where he had some spare machines), and bench tested each piece to which had broken.

The GFX, Memory, CDRW where all toast. The 500W power pack, was feeding 14 Volts down the 5 Volt line.

EBuyer would only refund the PSU, and non of the toasted components, citing the T&C's.

PC Plus advice the chap, to get stern and note the consumers act. PSU's are connected devices, from which you have to connect and intergrate it. As such, any component it damneges, Ebuyer must replace.

I am thinking of EBuyer as a lift without brakes.
edde
Dabbler

Motherboard Advice.

Cheers will take a look.

I've used Ebuyer twice myself without any major problems but I'm still rather warey after reading the various comments about them.
N/A

Motherboard Advice

Just thought I'd add my two-penneth. 'TIME' computers use MSI motherboards
We've got three Time computers, one with 1000 meg duron and MS6378, no problems with it or the others.

Ken Lingard
N/A

Motherboard Advice.

I think we're all forgetting something: a PC of that vintage won't take an ATX motherboard! You'll need a new ATX format case and power supply. If your old computer uses EDO RAM you won't be able to use that either. The new motherboard vwill use PS2 or USB sockets for the keyboard and mouse, not AT sockets like your old motherboard. You can get adapter to fit PS2 keyboard and mouse into older systems, but I don't think you can get them to work the other way around. That just about leaves your Hard disk, Floppy Drive and CD-ROM from the old system - is it still worth it? Sad
Ianwild
Grafter

Motherboard Advice.

I used to work for Tiny and we used MSI motherboards, which I thought were OK - 5 years later my acquired MSI motherboard is still going strong too :-)

I probably should not break my own forums advertising rules, but I have used http://www.easyetrader.com in favour of ebuyer a couple of times and they were more than good...
Community Veteran

Motherboard Advice.

Hey Ian, you're not breaking any rules... we decided that small advertising (such as a short reference like yours) that is beneficial in the thread's context is Ok. Smiley

Thomas
edde
Dabbler

Motherboard Advice.

Cheers for the info guys Smiley

I've been trying to read up on it and it looks like the Asus A7N266-VM-SE is a likely candidate due to the onboard sound/graphics (it is my secondary PC after all).

Its looks as though I'm gonna need another case and probably some RAM so the budget needs to rise Sad

I also appreciate the links to other vendors, I like to use Ebuyer as a benchmark for prices but I'm wary of their service so if the prices are close I would probably go with someone who has a lower profile on bad service.

Anway, cos this PC will be running 24hrs a day I want noise to be kept to a minimum so can anyone recommend a case that is cheap & quiet and maybe a quiet processor fan while your at it :?:
N/A

Motherboard Advice.

Can't fault ebuyer personally though I've never had to return anything. I've spent a fair bit with them and more often than not their prices are cheaper than others eg www.dabs.com (who I also use and can recommend their returns service as being excellent: new PC build, case PSU fried mobo and case leads inside and they replaced both with no arguements).

As for ASUS, my Linux firewall is running with an ASUS board I think the same as the one you mentioned. It's been running with a Duron 1.1 for around 2 months now and has been on 24/7 with no problem at all. Also got 512MB of 'so far so good' cheap DDR RAM from ebuyer aswell which has caused me no problems at all.

Only thing to watch I'd say is the case: I have a cheap (£16.99) case from ebuyer which has a really noisy PSU fan, so if you want silent running you may wish to look at a decent case as it should be quiter.

Just my tuppence worth!

nry