cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor upgrade from CRT to TFT

shakers

Hi there,
I'm looking to upgrade my monitor and am wondering if my current motherboard will handle a 19" VGA TFT?
In display properties > adapter > list all modes, the highest resolution available is 1024x768. I dont know if ths relates to my current monitor only or is it the highest for any monitor i attach?

I will probably buy a 19" DVI TFT and would be looking to upgrade my motherboard and buy a separate graphics card (mid range as i'm not an intense gamer). I have no reason to upgrade my CPU but on browsing just a few socket A motherboards, they dont have PCI-E slots (for future proof), just AGP. Any answers/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

System specs:
PC Chips ECS M841LU (on board graphics)
AMD Athlon XP 1800
80 GIG Maxtor 6Y080L0
768MB Memory
Win XP
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

the native display of a 19" monitor is higher than 1024 x 768 and is in fact 1280 x 1024 so you need a graphics card that can handle that resolution or you will not get anything like the best definition out of the display.
N/A

Normally motherboards with on-board graphics don't have the AGP slot to plug in a graphic card. No graphic card means no DVI port and a decent 19"TFT monitor should use the DVI input for better results.

To obtain a decent resolution for a screen of that size you need a lot of dedicated video memory, so if your PC is sharing the main memory, you could also be shot of memory.

As an IT guy I think a 19" TFT screen is a bit of an overkill for the sort of the PC you have. Upgrading the motherboard means a new processor, new memory, a more powerful PSU, more cooling and the case might be totaly unsuitable. Buy a 15" TFT or an entirely new PC, but do not waste money on your existing PC.
shakers

Thanks for the advice.
My case will fit a standard ATX motherboard and has a:
400w PSU
1 x 512MB ddr400 pc3200
1 x 256 ddr pc2100
additional case fan
I assume most new motherboards will accept my memory, although i believe its better to fit identical modules, eg. 2 x 512MB ddr400 pc3200.
I had no intention of upgrading my components, but i have no choice if i want a TFT monitor (17" acceptable minimum).

A friend of mine told me to look on auction sites for used motherboard / graphics card, if i'm not looking for high spec.(he's purchased similar items himself without problem). What are your thoughts on this?
Also how do i know if my PSU is powerful enough for my choice of components?

Thanks again for your help
N/A

Download this file:
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-133.zip

Open it up with Winzip or a similar archive software. And double-click the cpuz.exe.

Once the program loads up go to the tab named "Mainboard" and list exactly what it says on all of that page. Then we will be able to tell you if you do have an AGP port, also it will tell us what Socket you are using so we can tell you what you can upgrade too.
shakers

MOTHERBOARD
Manufacturer: ECS
Model: M841LU 1.0
Chipset: SIS 740 Rev.01
Southbridge: SIS LPC Bridge
Sensor: ITE IT8705

BIOS
Brand: American Mehatrends Inc.
Version: 07.00T
Date: 04/02/01

GRAPHIC INTERFACE
Version: AGP version 2.0
Transfer Rate: 4x Max Supported: 4x
Side Band: enabled

If you feel it would be be in my best interest to upgrade my CPU also, then i would consider doing that.
N/A

It looks like you are looking at a new computer unfortunately.

Your best bet would be to build one on the Socket 754 platform if you want to build a budget computer. You can still use your pc3200 memory, hard drive, cd roms etc, but you will need the a new motherboard, processor, and graphics card.

512MB should be enough memory for now, although adding another 512MB wont be a problem.

Your case wont need upgrading and your PSU would probably be okay.

What are the main uses of the system and what is your budget?

Once I know this I will be able to tell you what you will need. Although if you are not good at building computers you might be better to buy a whole new system, which of course if you want to do I can point you in the right direction.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

I know your power supply has enough watts but it may hit trouble with the 12 volt rail.
This was a major problem with the early adopters of socket 754 technology as the older psu's had most of their power on the 5.5v rail.
If you can advise the 12v rail capacity or the model of psu we may be able to give further guidance.
shakers

phearfactor
My main uses are occasional gaming (also online gaming), digital image-editing and office software (nothing too intense). I intend to buy a DVD R/W and with the development of video on demand, I assume i would need some decent kit?

I'd be prepared to spend £300 tops which would include a 17" TFT DVI (i originally wanted 19" as i use one at work, but its probably bigger than i need). I dont know if this figure is feasable? I am confident enough to build my own system, just not enough knowledge on components.

holtlane
A friend bought the case for me which included the PSU. All i know is that its 400w (sorry to seem dumb, but what is a rail capacity?). I could take the backplate off if it would tell me inside the info you need (otherwise i would probably have to dismantle everything to remove the PSU)
N/A

This is what I would recommend:

Motherboard:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=13026&GroupID=0
(SLi motherboard, for the price it would be silly not to buy it)

Processor:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=10240&GroupID=1081
(note this is the 256k cache one whereas other seemingly faster semprons are 128k cache, be careful if you dont go for this one in perticular)

Graphics Card
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=13284&GroupID=0
(Just buy one, in the future if you want more graphical power purchase another for SLi)

Thats £230 for the hardware (the PSU may or may not work so I will add that below)

Including this monitor:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=13471&GroupID=0

Your looking at about £350, but the computer is VERY upgradeable without changing platform again. You can stick in a much faster processor in the future, a second graphics card and the memory should be able to support 2GB+

Of course there are cheaper ways to upgrade but I would say this is the most cost effective.

Add the PSU
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11880&GroupID=9

Which is £30 notes your coming close to about £400 including postage.

But like I said above, its probably the best way to go and definatly the most cost effective. The motherboard can support upto an AMD Clawhammer 2.4GHz 1MB Cache (which I am actually using) and like I said earlier the graphics can support any PCI-E card on the market but only Nvidia cards in SLi.

The 7600GT is Nvidia's newest release aimed at this type of computer, it is actually faster in newer games than the 6800GS which are still hovering at over £150 in price.

The PSU I dont know much about, Thermaltake are usually good and it should easily run that system without breaking into a sweat. It is 12V2 as hotlane suggested so their will be no incompatabilities.

Sorry to go over budget but if you really want to spend your money wisely its better to spend a little more and get something slightly more futureproof Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

If you take off the case side panel you should be able to see the basic details on the psu name plate.
When I talk about rails I mean the output capability at various voltages. There will be 3 rails (12v, 5.5v and 3.3v) and the maximum current on each rail is fixed by the design of the psu.
Fundamentally a case which came with a psu included will almost certainly not be adequate for a modern system, however if you can't get the details of the psu easily perhaps the case type and age would assist.
shakers

I wasnt intending to spend so much but I agree that it would be in my best interest to spend a little extra to futureproof my investment. The graphics card you suggested, would i assume be more than adequate for my needs. As I am looking for a DVI monitor i would have to compromise on the graphics card. Plenty of stuff for me to think about there-cheers for your input. Cheesy

Re my PSU-the chassis is covering its sides so i cant see its face plate. The link below is for the exact same case-purchased at a computer fair from this company on 28/05/2005.

http://www.fast-tek.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_59_84&products_id=1038
N/A

If you paid less than £30 for it with a PSU its unlikely to be 12V2 so you will have to purchase a 12V2 PSU.

If you look at the specification page on that graphics card it says:

Interfaces DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI
TV-out

So yes, DVI is fine your monitor will have no issue with that.

Although the Monitor I linked you too, funnily enough is D-Sub which is the same as you have now..

So you could just buy that monitor and forget about DVI altogether lol

If you really want to go DVI then dont buy that monitor I recommended (I had a dumb moment lol). Buy this one instead:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11011&GroupID=0

This uses both DVI and D-Sub (although you have to buy the DVI cable seperately), so you could use it now and when you upgrade your computer it will still be able to work on your new graphics card. Obviously it will be better with the newer card using DVI, but if you can get both then why not.

Sorted Wink
shakers

Sorry, when i said compromise i meant buy a cheaper graphics card due to my budget, as i would be paying more for a DVI monitor. :lol:

Will it say on the PSU faceplate what the rail capacity is? I'll check it when ive got time but your probably right as i only paid £29.00 for it a year ago.

Last question (although nothing to do with the subject). When posting i tick 'Notify me when a reply is posted' but i dont get notified Sad any idea why?. Probably one for the support section.
N/A

Make sure its ticked in your profile aswell:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/profile.php?mode=editprofile