cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem/router recommendations please! Urgent!

N/A

Hey folks,

Do any of you have ny experience of using the D-Link DSL-300T ethernet modem/router with the plus net broadband service?

I have decided to completely ditch the voyager 105 that plus net provided as i can't plug it into my airport extreme (to 2 ibooks tiger 10.4.6) (no broadband for 4 days, i don't know how i'm coping)

My budget is quite tight but I want a quality new solution, and the d-link 300t is about 40quid?

What do you think? Or is there a better solution?

cheers for reading. :?

p.s do plusnet ever reply to direct questions to them? i been waiting 2 days on 'my questions'.,.,., and i can't get thru on the blower!
16 REPLIES
N/A

I got a US Robotics 9105 on eBay for something like £23 and its best router I have owned. The wireless version is 9106 and is almost identical. It uses the Broadcom chipset which is said to be one of the best around at the moment.

There is one on eBay right now

Other ones I recommend are:

Speedtouch 516/536/585
Voyager 2110
Buffalo WMR-G54
Netgear DG834GT

Some of these are quite expensive as they are wireless but these are I believe the ones that use the broadcom chipset that would be a great asset for anyone using broadband internet.

Goodluck!
Community Veteran

The D-Link DSL-300T is not a router. It is an Ethernet modem, the equivelant of a USB modem, with only 2 ports, one for the phone line and one to plug into a network card on your PC.

While you can plug it directly into your PC, it was designed to allow a cable modem/DSL router to be connected to ADSL and it does not have any firewall capability (which is must now a days). However, it is expensive for what it does and I do not recommend you purchase one as it is not very reliable and can be difficult to setup.

What you actually need is a multi-port ADSL modem/router and if you need wireless then a wireless version as well. This then allows all of your units to be connected at the same time.

But this is likely to be outside your budget, especially if you go wireless.

The unit I would recommend is the Netgear DG834 (wired) or DG834G (wireless), the DG834GT is available but more expensive that the other 2 and not really worth the extra expense. The unit is very easy to setup, works perfectly on MaxDSL and has a very good track record (I have been using the wired version for 18 months without a hitch - just make sure you are running the latest firmware)

The 834 will cost about £50 and the 834G about £60.
N/A

Like I posted above the DG834GT used the Broadcom chip, its a hell of a lot faster because its just generally new technology. I dont know much about it, but people in Auzzie land are raving about Broadcom stuff because of the increases they receive with them on their ADSL2 lines.

With ADSL2 just around the corner for alot of folk, it might be a wise idea to invest in something generally tried and tested if you plan on using ADSL2 in the future of course.

Here is a quote from another forum:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a Netgear DG834GT & a Netgear DG834G?

Which is better, and what would the price difference be?

Thanks in advance,

As was said before they use different wireless chipsets ... the plain G runs at 54MBps using a Prism GT while the GT uses an Atheros which supports so called Turbo G technology and also XR or Atheros Extended Range.

At the price point I would go for the GT simply because of this as the Atheros is better at wireless.

On a more technical level they use totally different ADSL chipset i.e the G an TI AR-7 and the GT a Broadcom solution which runs at a much higher clockspeed.

The features are the same and the only difference I can see is that the DG834G supports VPN to VPN while the GT only does VPN pass through.

So I would say its worth the expense (£20-£30), I guess its swings and roundabouts Wink
Community Veteran

The DG834v2 and DG834Gv2 (i.e. the current models you can buy) both support ADSL2/2+ so they are futureproofed in that respect.

The only benefit with the GT model is the faster wireless capability but if you don't have wireless cards that support the propriatory faster speeds then you are wasting your money. Yes, the GT uses a more recent chipset but the 834/834G models are well known to be good on low SNR lines and have a proven track record, the GT model is still suffering compatibility and reliability issues.
N/A

Faster Wireless and Faster Processing Chip. Fine reasons to spend the extra £20 in my books lol. Although I wouldnt buy one personally, I guess its preference. I mean stability/reliability etc gets sorted with patches over time, so surely buying the newer technology is a wiser idea.

Obviously they will support the newer modems for longer aswell. I mean surely there is more bang for the buck with the newer modems from most manufacturers, the only reason I can see to buying an old model is if you get it on eBay. I wouldnt buy older technology retail because it seems like a waste of money, and I probably wouldnt encourage anyone to buy something retail that has been super-ceeded and is only £20 more for the newer model.

Of course if you really believe the £20 difference is not worth it then thats fine, but it seems an odd stand to take.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Just a point I believe that the Netgear modems don't support multicast whereas the Speedtouch models do.
This could be a deciding factor for the future
N/A

I have the Netgear DG834G and it's a superb piece of kit. I would recommend that.
N/A

Just a point I believe that the Netgear modems don't support multicast. This could be a deciding factor for the future

Hotlane what does Multicasting do other than this BBC thing I have been reading about?
Alecto
Grafter

Just a point I believe that the Netgear modems don't support multicast .
This could be a deciding factor for the future

Now that Plusnet have enhanced our multicast service by kicking it into the long grass, I'd have thought that even Netgear would be doing multicast before Plusnet pick it up again.]
N/A

Is it just the BBC Multicast thing guys or is there more too it than that?
Community Veteran

As far as I know its only the BBC thing at present.
However I have read that the present Netgear models won't be upgraded to give this capability but the new models will support it.
N/A

Ah right, so I am sort of on the ball. But what was Big G P talking about "kicking it into the long grass". I thought PN were on the back of this?

I was hoping to see it soon aswell. Sorry to go off-topic slightly but I guess multicast not being supported by Netgear routers and at their price is a pretty dodgy issue, I have a £9 router here that supports it.
Alecto
Grafter

Ah right, so I am sort of on the ball. But what was Big G P talking about "kicking it into the long grass". I thought PN were on the back of this?

Look at Bob's last post in the multicast forum.

Here, to paraphrase, he says that :
Plusnet think multicast is important;
it needs some resources;
they have no resources;
and so to enhance our multicast experience they are scrapping the whole thing until such time as they release it properly.

The proposed release date is sometime after the twelfth of never, which doesn't bother them too much as it uses a lot of bandwidth anyway.
Community Veteran

So if you want multicast in the near future you may need to switch isp - great isn't it