cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem problems

N/A

Modem problems

Well actually I am not certain that it is the modem, but it manifests itself when trying to use the modem.

I have been on broadband now for almost a year, and cannot remember if I have used the modem since. However last week I tried to send a fax and my system locked. So thought I would try to dial into PlusNet, which I had used, briefly, prior to broadband.
On trying, I get:
Opening port
Dialling 0 845 1400101
My computer then locks, the telephone is usable. I have to reload to unfreeze.
I have tried all the tests relevant in XP, and they all pass. Any ideas please?
One other thing I have tried it with the router unplugged and the modem direct into the phone line, without the filter.

TIA
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Modem problems

I can only suggest that the modem has gone faulty in some way. Sad

I still have my old modem in just to send faxes and as a backup should ADSL fail and it still works ok.

When you say done the tests I presume thats getting the system to query the modem from the control panel?
I built a machine a few months ago where the person wanted XP and a modem. Everything seemed fine but it kept locking up while using the modem.
The diagnostics in XP said everything was fine with the modem but replacing it cleared the problem.
holdtight
Grafter

Modem problems

I still have my old modem in just to send faxes and as a backup should ADSL fail and it still works ok.

Yes i do the same, its a just in case thing and of course for fax`s,

however i have had and seen many XP systems have various issues using some (not all) pci modems
if you do query the the modem as John suggests and you still cant get it to connect i would recommend getting an external 56k usb modem as its what i did and found they dont have any XP issues and are just as cheap as the pci ones now
Community Veteran

Modem problems

if you do query the the modem as John suggests and you still cant get it to connect i would recommend getting an external 56k usb modem as its what i did and found they dont have any XP issues and are just as cheap as the pci ones now

Indeed and I am finding it increasingly difficult to get 56k internal PCI modems now if someone specifies that they want one in a PC I build for them.