cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem problem

N/A

Modem problem

I have used Plusnet broadband exclusively for 2 years now. Unfortunately I need to use my long disused modem to log-on to another ISP. Unfortunately the modem no longer seems to dial, throwing up error 680. I am fed up with troubleshooting it, uninstalling and reinstalling the thing.

I can dial the ISP using the phone plugged into the modem and can hear the ISP trying to handshake. As I only want to log on to this ISP once can I dial its number using the phone (as I can) and then input the userid and password. If so, how do I input the userid and password?

Regards

Adam
3 REPLIES
N/A

Modem problem

You arent going to get logged in too easily just using a phone.

Have you looked at this info re your 680 error and methods of diagnosing the problem.
N/A

Modem problem

Yes I have done all of the suggestions - to no avail unfortunately! The modem is working and communicating with the computer and responds correctly to AT commands. The modem is connected to the phone line and I can make calls via a phone pluged into the phone socket of the modem. The modem recognises when the the phone is engaged but conversely does not seem to recognise when a dial tone is available.

I only need to connect to this ISP via Dial-up once and then I will be finished with the Modem - so I am not going to buy a new one!

Help!!

Adam
N/A

Modem problem

Try disconnecting from broadband first.
Have you put a filter on the modem?

download startup cpl from

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

and run it. It will show all your startup progs and you can untick them and re tick them.

You are looking for somthing in the startup that may be modem related or com related. Its normally some software that makes the modem think the line open. Try unticking everything you can as long as its not anything critical as you can re tick it later. Reboot and try again.

The other thing which will do it is if you have call waiting/call minder as this put a tone on the line that sound like a engaged tone to the modem