cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem & router problem

toolmaker

Modem & router problem

I have just spent a most enjoyable coulpe of days trying to get a d-link modem and a netgear router to co-operate and play nicely together. On an hourly entertainment basis I count it as money well spent and I have learnt a considerable amount of new numbers e.g. 198.162.1.1 and so on ad infinitum.

However I am still unable to persuade the recalcitrant little sods to shake hands and my patience is now a little ragged around the edges. Can anyone on this forum tell me:

a. Am I wasting my time due to the two items being incompatible

b. Is there hope if I persevere.

Any useful info is welcome

Adrian
10 REPLIES
madswitcher
Grafter

Modem & router problem

I think the best advice is to take this in stages. (in place of any further information)

Configure your pc to use DHCP and connect directly to the modem - make sure it works and then set up the DHCP server on the modem to use a range of addresses such as 90.0.0.2 to (say) 90.0.0.20 and itself have an address of 90.0.0.1. This may involve a couple of reboots, but makes fault finding easier late. Then use this to connect to the internet etc and make sure that works. Disconnect your pc from the modem and connect the pc to the router.

The router should provide an IP address for the pc if still configured to factory defaults and so make sure you pc picks up an address and that you can talk to it. I haven't used that particular router but they are all quite similar.

You now have to set up the router to work to the modem and there is usually a quick set up wizard, or the like, to do this. If not look for the router being set up as as DHCP client so that the router gets an IP address from the modem and then connect them using a direct connection cable.

If this works, then the router should now be getting a 90.0.0.X IP address and you should be able talk to the modem via the router as well. If not them either the router has not got an address from the modem or the router is blocking the path - reset everything back to the factory defaults and start again.

If all works well, then you can now either set everything up for static IP addresses or just leave the pc(s) to use DHCP from the router. Personally I would use fixed IP addresses as it make tracking and firewalling easier.

Hope this helps - if not give some further information and I'll try to help further

Mike
Community Veteran

Modem & router problem

Just a note to say don't use 90.X.X.X addresses as they are not for use on private networks. Stick with 192.168.0.X and 192.168.1.X etc for different private networks.
toolmaker

Modem & router problem

Thanks for your reply Mike. The procedure you describe is precisely the one I followed (amongst others) and I have so far had no luck. Though I shall be trying again. If it throws any light on the situation the hardware is as follows:

The Modem is a D-Link DSL-300T
The router is a Netgear RP614 v2

Thanks again

Adrian
Community Veteran

Modem & router problem

Hmm.. that modem is very particular about what equipment it likes to work with - i.e. it is not compatible with all routers - there have been several other threads in the past where similar (not sure if the same router) setups have been tried and failed. Try doing a search for 300T and see if you can find them.

In this kind of setup I normally recommend you give up and buy an all-in-one router like the netgear DG834 and save a lot of time and hassle.
madswitcher
Grafter

Modem & router problem

"Just a note to say don't use 90.X.X.X addresses as they are not for use on private networks."

I have used this range of addresses for some year after using Winproxy and never had any problems. I think you will find that these are non routed addresses, but not commonly used.

From the Winproxy site - which I have no question to doubt, even after looking up the RFC.

"There are some specific IP address ranges which are reserved for special uses. We will make use of these later when we are setting up IP addressing on your local network. Network addresses which are reserved for testing or for local networks are 10.x.x.x, 90.x.x.x, 172.16-35.x.x and 192.168.x.x. These addresses all share a crucial distinction – routing computers on the Internet will not route these numbers"

Mike
toolmaker

Modem & router problem

Thanks to you all for your advice. As Peter suggests, the Modem is fussy so I have decided, after another fruitless day to go for a d-link router. That should fix the problem.

Thanks again

Adrian
N/A

Modem & router problem

I have a similar setup with a wireless router and an adsl modem.

Only thing I had to change was setting the wireless routers DHCP to *OFF* and having the adsl modem DHCP to *ON*

As soon as I did that everything worked perfectly. If both devices are set to DHCP *ON* it just wont work, never ever heh Wink
madswitcher
Grafter

Modem & router problem

Adrian

just another quick thought on this. What is the configuration that you are using: I had assumed that it was

Telephone line - modem - router -pc all in series with nothing else connected to te modem. This configuration should work unless there is some funnies between them. You should not be using the modem and router connected together in parallel to a switch or the like.

Mike
toolmaker

Modem & router problem

Hi Mike

You are right in your assumption that they were connected in series with no other items involved.
Still no joy, but am too busy at the moment to go on flogging this ailing horse.
The modem works fine on its own so i'm ok for now.
Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll let you know when it's sorted.

Adrian
Community Veteran

Modem & router problem

"I think you will find that these are non routed addresses, but not commonly used.
From the Winproxy site - which I have no question to doubt, even after looking up the RFC.

I know this is a bit late, but RFC1918 doesn't seem to mention 90.x.x.x. addresses and a whois seems to suggest they are allocated to France Telecom