cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing XP Theme following System Restore

laurian
Dabbler

Over the last 7 days I had some blue screen errors. I attempted 2 system restores but both failed. A third attempt did restore the system but with one remaining, niggling, problem: I have lost my Windows XP theme and am stuck with the Windows Classic theme only.

To be clear, under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES – Appearance” I’m only offered Windows Classic style under Windows & Buttosn. Under “DISPLAY PROPERTIES – Theme” I’m offered My Current Theme, Windows Classic, More themes online & Browse.

Under Control Panel I’m NOT offered the Appearance & Themes option. Viewing SERVICES does show that the Themes service is running. I did attempt to stop and restart this service but this failed with an “Error 1503: Cannot Stop Service. Service did not stop in a timely fashion”.

Searching the Windows folder for *.theme files there’s only the luna theme and windows classic theme.

More information: once the system was successfully restored I ran a successful system file check (sfc). The blue screen error I have resolved was NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS.

The system seems to be running well in all other respect.

What I want to do is reinstate APPEARANCE & THEMES under Control Panel and return the WINDOWS XP theme.

Can anyone help, please?!

PC Details: Windows XP (SP1), AMD ATHLON 2000 (1.67GHz), 512Mb RAM, ATI RADEON 7000 (latest Catalyst driver)
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Run a repair installation of Windows and this should put back any missing files that you are short of.

Boot the machine from the windows Xp CD (you may need to set the BIOS to do this) and then carry on as thought you wre going to setup Windows.
You should get to a screen that gives you the option to repair the current version (not the screen that says repair using the console) but a page or two after that where it says press R to repair.
This will then do an installation that recreates Xp but without losing any of your settings and files.
laurian
Dabbler

Disappearing Themes

John,

Thanks for the reply.

I had thought about a repair but one thing put me off....I read that if I repair my Windows XP installation then I'll need to reload Service Pack 1.

Is this true?

Also, as I was having so much trouble with this blue screen problem I was all ready to reformat and resinstall XP with SP2 but then I got things going. I'm now thinking that if I'm going to have to repair then I may as well do a clean reinstall. All my data is on a second hard drive (and backed up separately) so it wouldn't be too burdensome to sit around for a few hours reinstalling my apps!!

What do you think?
Community Veteran

It depends which version of XP you are going to do the repair install from?
The one I last used to do this included sevice pack 2 so it was quite modern.

If the one you have includes Service Pack One then it should automaticaly include it in the install.

But whatever version you have its worth trying the repair install first as there is no need to reinstall all of your program files which will be the case if you do a clean install.
laurian
Dabbler

Using slipstreamed Windows SP2 to do a repair

John,

Thanks for the advice. Some more would be welcome....

When I thought I might need to do a clean reinstall I found out about slipstreaming. As a result I used my original Windows non-SP1 XP disk (which was a MESH COMPUTERS recovery disk) and integrated it with the SP2 CD ROM from Microsoft. As a result I have created a Windows XP disk with SP2.

My question is, if I'm going to do a repair can I safely use this slipstreamed disk which would, I believe, bring my system up to SP2 straightway? (Up to now I've been resisting SP2 as my system HAD been running just fine!!).

Any advice would be welcome.
Community Veteran

Yes I have just done exactly that with a "Time" computer that came with one of these image disks rather than a proper XP disc.
I actualy used one of my own copies of XP with SP2, but when it came to entering the code for the machine, I used the one that was on the label stuck to the case.
This all worked fine and the machine is up to SP 2 from the word go.
laurian
Dabbler

Repair/Slipstream

Thanks again for the advice. I'm just checking with MESH to confirm their Windows XP Recovery Disk was okay to use for the slipstreaming process. I'm sure it is as I've used it in the past to do a full, clean reinstall so, in effect, I'm sure it's as good as a retail version.