cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minor issue logging-on Outlook Express

N/A

Just a thought.....

in OE Options, Connections, try setting it to 'dial whenever a network connection is not present' and see if that will allow OE to estalish the adsl connection by itself.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I log-on to Outlook Express for the first time each day it almost always starts with an error...let me explain:

I repeat this only happens the first time each day, any re-starts during the day are usually normal.

I start my PC as normal, almost always the first thing I do is to open Outlook Express, It connects to ADSL normally, the connected box appears at the botton of the screen, the usual processes continue until I get an error message from OE "some errors occurred etc" the same message appearing for all 3 of my mailboxes.

Clearing the error message and pressing "send/receive" works normally with any incoming mail for the 3 boxes being received.

I've not noticed if the error message dosen't occur if there is no incoming mail, I think it still does, but it's quite rare to not have any mail at all.

It's OE6 with all the updates
The OS is XP Home SP2 with all the updates
Processor is Intel 2.8GHz

Anyone any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

any chance of posting the actual errors at all please mate?
Community Veteran

Yes will do...

Would you believe for the first time for months it didn't do it this morning!! but next time it occurs (er! tomorrow perhaps) I'll post the details.

But just a little more info before that:

The "dial-up" box reports verifying user name and password as normal without any problem, the error seems to occur at the point when OE would be about to start downloading any new mail.

After clearing the error message and pressing "send and receive" incoming mail is downloaded in the normal way, it's not just sitting there waiting for me the downloads occur normally including any extended time for attachments etc.

The error message is more annoying than serious it only takes a few seconds to deal with and so far "send and receive" has never failed, I just feel thats it's something that I shouldn't have happen and was really wondering if anybody else has had this and, if they've cured it , how?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

As promised the error message:

The host 'mail.plus.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.plus.net (2)', Server: 'mail.plus.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Community Veteran

Sounds like a problem with OE in that it is not waiting long enough for the connection to be established and setup properly before it attempts to lookup the IP address of mail.plus.net or tries to connect to the mail server.

For each account you have in OE, modify their preferences (tools -> accounts) and adjust the server timeout to be longer on the advanced tab and see if that helps.
N/A

mine is set on 1minute, but never takes anywhere near that to log on, does sound like it tho
N/A

petlew,

Can you post your current timeout settings?
Community Veteran

Thanks for your interest guy's

My server time-outs were set at 2 minutes, I have though re-set them to 3 minutes.

I have to say though, that I thought 2 minutes was excessive, but I'm willing to try it at 3 minutes to see if it makes any difference.

I took a much closer look at what was happening this morning (I quite often don't sit around glued to watching it) and it seems the error occurs (it did happen this morning) at the point that "receiving mail" appears in the bottom right of the OE window, but it doesn't actually receive until after "send and receive" is pressed, since the error message often but not always appears behind the OE window I'm not always aware it's happened unless I spot the error message yellow triangle with exclamation mark in the bottom right corner, but this clears quite quickly so that box can be blank if I've been away from the PC a while this is all happening.

N/A

petlew,

To be honest a timeout of 2 mins seems excessive, but let me know how you get on with the 3 mins.

I'll take some time out today, to look up the error message, and see I can think of any other ideas as to what could be causing your problem.
pcorker
Grafter

I find that OE6 requires my PC to have "settled down" after startup before it will work. For example, if I set it to automatically check my mail on startup (by using the startup folder) then it always fails.

I just wait about 20 "extra" seconds then fire it up. If I am over eager it fails.

I think it's due to my modem taking a little time to establish its "virtual network adapter" thingy (Binatone 3 lights model)
Community Veteran

Thanx for that pcorker, that however was my first reaction some time back, but subsequently it seems to make no difference how quick or how long I leave it before opening OE for this error to occur, there are occasions when I start the PC go off to wash, shave and shower eat breakfast, a leisurely 2nd cup of tea before I return to open OE to find the error occurs.

Although I agree, that if you open OE or any programme for that matter whilst Windows is still loading that's asking for trouble.

One last piece of info that may or may not have a bearing: I have a suspicion that this did not happen before SP2 was installed!! but I'm not 100% sure.

Oh yes, my OE is also set up for automatic dial-up, at least I think that's what you mean?.

Community Veteran

QUICK UPDATE

Re-setting time-outs made no difference.

Error occurred this morning (as usual) but, also significant there was no new mail in any of my mail boxes, which rather settles that theory then!!

AND the PC had been on for nearly two hours before I touched it again after switching it on, so another theory down the tubes I'm afraid.

pcorker
Grafter

I'm thinking (from the info you provide) that you have not established an ADSL connection before opening OE and that you initiate your connection by opening OE. If that is the case, what happens if you establish a connection (perhaps by looking at any web page not in your cache or clear the cache) before using OE, then use OE?
Community Veteran

Yes you're quite right, I do let the whole process open automatically by using opening OE to establish the ADSL if that makes sense.

And I think you're also right, on the very rare occasions that I've opened the IE 6 first I don't think I've had trouble with OE.

So the answer is to establish the ADSL connection first? Ok so I expect that will work (will try it ASAP) but that doesn't stop me being mildly miffed at having to do so