Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Word

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Microsoft Word

I know that I am a dumbo but after all these years of using "Word", I cannot find how to overprint ! By overprint, I mean in the old fashioned typewriter sense, namely typing two characters on top of one another without the "carriage" advancing.
I use a french keyboard all the time (don't ask, there is a good reason) but some of the characters require the use of the "Alt Gr" key to access them. So far, so good. But does anyone know how I type a character and then type the special character on top of it without the cursor advancing ? I vaguely remember using "^H" with "Wordstar" back in the 80s, but how do you do it in Word ?
I know that I can use the "Insert Symbol" feature and make shortcuts and asci codes for special characters - I can do all that. But I just want to be able to overprint.
Does anyone know ?

Many thanks if you do.
:?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Microsoft Word

Open help in Word (F1), type "keyboard shortcuts for internation characters".

You should see a item named the same thing. View this and all will be revealed.
Community Veteran

Microsoft Word

That depends on the version of word you are using - my old Word97 finds nothing for that search term.

shermans, if the above finds nothing then 'insert symbols or special charaters' may be a better search term then look for something related to type international characters.
shermans
Rising Star

Microsoft Word

Thank you both for trying. It has helped in one way - I now know I am not such a dumbo as I thought I was !
I am afraid that I have tried both suggestions, and no-where is there any mention of over-printing or anything similar that I can find. Lots of references to special charqcters and international characters but none of those help. They are all based on the "Insert symbol" feature, which is not the same thing as over-printing like on an old type-writer.
It was all so much easier when you could just take hold of the carriage, push it back and hold, rummage in the draw for some tippex, put the tippex in the wrong way round, hit the key, just take hold of the carriage, push it back and hold, rummage in the draw for some tippex, put the tippex in the right way round, hit the wrong key, just take hold of the carriage, push it back and hold, rummage in the draw for some tippex, put the tippex in the wrong way round, knock the coffee over, rip the paper out and start all over again.
Does that mean that I have got to go back to Wordstar ? If so, can I borrow some scissors as my 5¼ floppy disk is too big for my current disk drive !

Nick
Community Veteran

Microsoft Word

I don't understand why you need it to overprint. This was only necessary on old dot matrix printers, most modern printers just print the international chars as you see them as a single character.
shermans
Rising Star

Microsoft Word

As I said, don't ask !! There are several reasons, not the least of which is that on a French keyboard, there is are discrete keys on the keyboard for several special characters. Some of them require over-printing, some don't (because they are already integrated). I had expected that when using the MS French keyboard settings in Control panel, it would activate the appropriate keystroke sequences in some way. But unfortunately that is not the case. However, that is not my only reason for wanting to overprint. I have to use the keyboard for a variety of other symbols and international fonts which require overprinting also. Too complicated to explain, but unfortunately overprinting is necessary and I have top resort to all sorts of tricks to achieve the right effect ! If only I could overprint ...........I suppose it's called progress. Cry
N/A

Microsoft Word

The following key combinations are available in Word XP. If I find time after, I dig out and confirm any changed for Word 2000.

You press the key combination prior to the comma, then hit the letter you wish to translate.

CTRL+`(ACCENT GRAVE), the letter
à, è, ì, ò, ù,
À, È, Ì, Ò, Ù

CTRL+' (APOSTROPHE), the letter
á, é, í, ó, ú, ý
Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú, Ý

CTRL+SHIFT+^ (CARET), the letter
â, ê, î, ô, û
Â, Ê, Î, Ô, Û

CTRL+SHIFT+~ (TILDE), the letter
ã, ñ, õ
Ã, Ñ, Õ

CTRL+SHIFT+: (COLON), the letter
ä, ë, ï, ö, ü, ÿ,
Ä, Ë, Ï, Ö, Ü, Ÿ

CTRL+SHIFT+@, a or A
å, Å

CTRL+SHIFT+&, a or A
æ, Æ

CTRL+SHIFT+&, o or O
œ, Œ

CTRL+, (COMMA), c or C
ç, Ç

CTRL+' (APOSTROPHE), d or D
ð, Ð

CTRL+/, o or O
ø, Ø

ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+?
¿

ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+!
¡

CTRL+SHIFT+&, s
ß
shermans
Rising Star

Microsoft Word

Thanks for that information, but I already knew all about those and regularly use them. In fact, I have changed the key strokes in many cases to something a little more user friendly. Those are what I call the "integrated" characters.

But if you use a foreign keyboard and set up the system to use the foreign keyboard layout, you do not need to use those funny keystrokes, because the special characters are embedded and when you hit a particular character, hat is what you get on the display in true wysiwyg fashion.

But what I need to be able to do without a workaround is to be able to print a character and then print another character on top without the cursor moving on. As I said, in Wordstar it was simply "Ctrl H". I seem to remember that you then saw the control sequence on the monitor but it actually printed one on top of the other, which was the desired effect.

I think this must be just a case of Bill Gates having "fixed something that wasn't broke" ! and that therefore the facility is now no longer available. I shall just have to continue using my workarounds.

Thanks all the sameSad

Nick
Community Veteran

Microsoft Word

A quick search for 'overstrike word' on microsoft Knowledge base found many articles:

WD2000: How to Create Special Characters with Overstrike.

I tried it on my laser printer and it works!
shermans
Rising Star

Microsoft Word

Yippee ! Thanks very much indeed. This will be wonderful.

And just after I had re-installed Wordstar and was getting used to all those Ctrl Bs, Ctrl Ss, Ctrl Us, Ctrl Vs, Ctrl Ys, etc. after all these years - only joking !.

But Ctrl H was much easier than {eq \o(o,-)}. However, I shall now make a series of macros to save time, and you could not do that in Worstar - ah, it makes me quite sentimental .