cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Optical mouse problem

N/A

Have a Microsoft wheel optical mouse using USB 1.1 ports on my PC. Been working fine for ages now seems to randomly just lose power (light goes off) and the only way to reset is pulling the plug out of the USB port and then putting it back in again. Seems to reset it until the next time it goes off. Very puzzling and not sure if it is the mouse that is faulty or something in my PC related to it?
have scaned for trojans, viruses and spyware - all OK. Have checked proprties of USB ports and have turned power management on and off it makes no difference. Also tried other USB ports on PC but makes no difference. Loaded latest microsoft drivers, still the same. Have not got anther optical mouse to hand so just wondered before I buy another if anyone else has come across this problem before?
Thanks
Pete?
9 REPLIES
N/A

I think that this is the common way that the mouse dies...

I had one that i used non stop for about 5 years. It was never turned off, and it started doing the exact same thing, with it just flicking off. I found i could actually tilt it upside down slightly and sometimes it would come back on, othertimes a remove and plug in would solve it.

Its deffinately the mouse, i plugged a different one in which i had bought at the same time and its been fine since. I guess something inside them just burns out.
N/A

Thanks for that, kinda confirmed what I had thought. Have to pop along to Bowlers tomorrow and get a new one. At less than a tenner it should not prove to expensive!
Thanks
N/A

If the current draw of a USB device drops below 50ma, the USB port drops the device. This is part of the USB specification.
The mouse will never draw 50ma by itself, so a "pull up" circuit is used to raise it to 50ma (when new). As the IR tx and rx get older, or warmer, they draw less current. Meaning the whole mouse now draws less current and can drop below the 50ma, thereby causing the USB Port to drop the device.

Well, that's a techy answer. It could just simply be bust.
Community Veteran

Have to pop along to Bowlers tomorrow and get a new one.

I would have thought that would be the most expensive way to get a new one.
Last time I went to Bolwlers the admission alone cost me 3 quid :twisted:

Nip along to Scan and get one for £7-63 in VAT.
N/A

Thanks for the technical info, sounds very plausable to me.

Going to Bowlers anyway for a few bits but must admit that I did not realise Scan were so cheap. Tend to use Microdirect who are a bit nearer to me and offer a wide range of components - just the queing if you time it wrong!

Thanks again Smiley
N/A

Scan and Microdirect tend to offer slightly different models on some items, so they don't compete. However, Scans "own brand" stuff is pretty good and cheap. Scan 2 button std mouse = £1.52

Get the timing wrong at either and you're queueing there all day.
N/A

50ma or 20ma...im sure its 20ma....gives me an idea for an optical i have here thats doing the same thing...grrrrr
N/A

Extract from MS website on USB troubleshooting

If no devices work when you plug the devices into the root hub, verify that the power requirements of the bus are not being exceeded. USB devices can draw a maximum of 500 milliamps for each connection. If a device attempts to draw more power than this, the specification recommends that the computer should be able to disable that specific port until the computer power is cycled (this is called "suspending" the port). In addition, if the device draws less than 50 milliamps, the port never becomes active.
N/A

i did clock that cg....its beginning to make a bit of sense, especially with the massive speed increase in usb2....mo current for mo speed.....